airlock o-ring fell into my batch!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comos

Reaction score
I'm using a 7 gal bucket for a primary. Airlock is going crazy with bubbles so i decided to replace it with some tubing. When i went to put the tubing in, it pushed the airlock o-ring into the batch. So now the tube doesn't fit and neither does the airlock. Would it be ok to just tape the airlock down as tight as possible to the lid? I just have it half assed sitting on there now.

is this going to be a wasted batch? Any suggestions would be great. It's foaming like crazy

you could sanitize a coat hanger and fish the o-ring out if you are afraid the rubber might leave on off flavour.
as long as it is fermenting strongly - nothing should get in from the loose airlock

Tape the hose on and get a new o-ring when you can. Sometimes, I'll just put a pint glass over the hole and set the fermenter in a location with a drain.

And don't sweat this one - almost everyone has done this in one of their first batches. When I did it, I sanitized my arm as best I could (hot water, liquid soap and then no-rinse) and fished it out.

The beer came out fine - the process is pretty resilient. Remember that way back when cave men brewed, they used open air brewing and relied on naturally occuring yeast to float in and ferment their brew. At least, that's the word on the street.

Back