Ice and Driving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a lifelong New Englander, I always get a kick out of watching the national news when it freezes over in areas that never get snow. Really, it's not that hard to drive in icy conditions! I used to pilot my rear-wheel-drive V8 Chevy Caprice around these hills with very little problems.....you just gotta feel it out. Not to say there aren't sh*tty drivers here (there are plenty of them), it's just funny to see the fish-out-of-water driver.

.....Probably like when we get a 7 day snap in the 90's and people act like outside life shuts down up here. I'll go hang on Revere Beach and I'll be the only cracker! The rest of the New Englanders are planted in front of two air conditioners while my and all the Brazillians are enjoying the weather!!!

Fiery Sword said:
...while my and all the Brazillians are enjoying the weather!!!

I'd have to say that's really just too much information. I'd rather not know anything about your Brazillian, thank you. :p

damn typos! obviously, substitute 'me' for 'my' :eek:

.......and i didn't immediately notice it was in portland. i though it was some southern region!!!

<downs another stupid pill>

It's hard to pickup on in the video, but it is hilly and most of the vehicle movement is gravity not the driver accelerating. Sound helps. On of the drivers actually yells, "HELP!"

Ain't all wheel drive great! Gives you god-like driving powers... but does piddly for braking.

Of course, I'm sitting here at the top of a icy hill a 10-wheel wrecker refused to try! Day 10 and maybe I get them back here Monday. This is unusual weather for the Willamette Valley, just below freezing and snow/rain for over a week. Add to that, the ground is still fairly warm and you get slick.

david_42 said:
Ain't all wheel drive great! Gives you god-like driving powers... but does piddly for braking.

Of course, I'm sitting here at the top of a icy hill a 10-wheel wrecker refused to try! Day 10 and maybe I get them back here Monday. This is unusual weather for the Willamette Valley, just below freezing and snow/rain for over a week. Add to that, the ground is still fairly warm and you get slick.

Man david, how long have you lived there? And have you ever seen WX like this? I don't know, seems like large portions of the country are getting uncommon conditions. We got EXTREMELY lucky with the storm that went thru last week, just rain rain and more rain. But then it got cold like a typical January and now some snow on the way tomorrow night into Sunday...

This is what NOAA was saying beginning of December. If you go by the map it looks like a jet shifted further north and is shoving all that moisture farther up into Texas. http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2753.htm

Maybe I need another beer... :drunk:

Sorry to hear you're still stuck. At least you have our little homebrewing asylum to keep you company. (and the stilt-weasels too of course :D )

All the best, :rockin:

Ize

I've been driving on ice for about 21 years now here's some tips . . .
gas pedal = bad
brake pedal = worse
Notice the guy trying to walk across the street? he had to shuffel his feet to keep from busting his arse . . . shuffling your feet to stay up right on the way to your car = go back inside

on a side note I just love how the dumb arse driving the fire engine parks in the middle of the intersection everyone and their brother just slides through . . .like they are going to be able to stop now . . . well b4 they hit the $400,000 engine

As annoying as this weather is, it was much worst in Illinois where I was born and New Jersey where I learned to drive. I suspect we are in for even weirder weather.

Saw a great article yesterday about a meteorologist convention. Apparently, the big yellow thing in the sky has nothing to do with weather. Nothing, nothing, nothing! Lalalala, I can't hear you!

Latest posts

Back