Super thick trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpy

Reaction score
I've had a Light American Ale sitting in the primary for two weeks now and the trub is extremely thick (up to the 2 gallon mark). I can't even take a gravity measurement because the hydrometer gets stuck in all the sludge. Any ideas on why the Trub would be so thick? It's not my first batch but I'm still learning. Thanks for the help

Would need the recipe or kit name to help with this one.
What was the intended recipe volume in the fermentor?

That would help but my notes disappeared. It was 5 gallon extract recipe that I changed to a BIAB. Basic 2 row malt made up the most of it. And my yeast was a wyeast smack pack 1056. I know it's tough to give an answer without all the details, but I was just hoping to find out if this is something that others have seen.

That does help. It sounds like your strainers or mesh bags allowed to much of the finer grains to escape and end up in the fermentor.

Does this seem probable?

That's what I was thinking, they double ground it at the homebrew shop and I think it all ended up a little too fine. I'm sure it will be fine and I could try to strain it out when I rack it to the secondary. Thanks

I get lots of trub with BIAB (one gallon mark on fermenter). I've changed my process and volumes to account for trub loss. I also use 7.9 gallon fermenters.

I was wondering if BIAB resulted in excess trub. I have only done AG as BIAB and have noticed crazy amounts of trub in some of my batches. So, when I get my mash tun, I will have less of this you think?

I was wondering if BIAB resulted in excess trub. I have only done AG as BIAB and have noticed crazy amounts of trub in some of my batches. So, when I get my mash tun, I will have less of this you think?

This was my second BIAB, my first batch turned out great and the grain bill was much larger. That's why I was surprised to see such a difference with this one. I've always been told you double crush the grains for bag brews to make sure you get the full use out of them. Perhaps it was just a little too fine this time. I'll just let it settle and rack it off in another week or so.

For this batch, I would try cold crashing to try to compact the trub. As for future batches, whether or not the crush is too fine is largely dependent on your bag. I made my own out of polyester voile and mill my grains as fine as I can. If you're using paint strainer bags or something similar, the flour will go through.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back