Yeast or Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandstoneCityBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beer was in the primary for a couple weeks, then raked to my secondary. It's been in the secondary for about 3 weeks now. Left for vacation, and when I came back all these little white specks are now floating at the top of the beer. Does it look like yeast or could it be mold?

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, it was the best I could do.

DSC_1368.jpg

DSC_1367.jpg

Personally, I would age in bottles just to make sure that everything is sealed up nice. Those high ABV brews can take some time to carb up as well so might as well carb/age them at the same time so they are ready for consumption when you are.

Its actually the winter ale kit from midwest. Instructions state to keep in the secondary for 4-6 months. Do you think it would be better to bottle it and let it sit for that long, or just keep it in the secondary?

a beer like that would age nicer in bottles than in bulk. after 3-4 weeks in secondary i would bottle as long as your FG has stablized. good luck thats a great kit!

Its actually the winter ale kit from midwest. Instructions state to keep in the secondary for 4-6 months. Do you think it would be better to bottle it and let it sit for that long, or just keep it in the secondary?

I brewed that beer early on twice, it so does not require 4-6 months for any reason. Bottle it up, let it condition and carbonate and enjoy, it's a pretty tasty beer from what I remember.:mug:

Back