cold crashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
So I am brewing a pale ale.

I stuck it out in my garage to cold crash at about 45 to 50 degrees. I was planning on cold crashing it for about 36 hours. Something came up and I don't think I will have time to bottle it.

Will there be any adverse effects of leaving it at this temp for another 2 or 3 days till I get a chance to bottle or should I try and force this into my schedule.

I've got 6 hours investing in brewing this so the last thing I want is for it to turn out poorly.

I plan on bottling not kegging.

No problem. Cold crashing would be much better below 40F if you can manage it.

Yeah. No temp control yet. I figured throwing it in the garage couldn't hurt anything. Its at about 45. Sounds like the worse case scenario is that it will do nothing .........

I just cold crashed my red ale for about 4 days before kegging. It definitely made a difference in clarity. I dont know why it would hurt anything to leave it in longer unless its already been in the fermenter for longer than 4 weeks.

It won't hurt a thing. If you want to cold crash for clarity you want to go down towards 30. Cold crashing in the 40's will take quite a while to clear the beer...good to make the yeast go dormant though.

Back