My DUMB Ebay mistake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm trying to get a FoodSaver and I bid on a Foodsaver store n' cut instead! It's only $25 with a couple of containers + shipping, but I don't even have a damn food saver!

Is there anything that I can do?

J

Not according to ebay policy. Once you bid on something, that is a binding contract. You might email the seller and see if they will work a deal with you to buy a foodsaver instead, although you'll probably need to pay more.

Yeah, this I already knew. Damn. Only about 1 more hour. Hopefully someone will outbid me in the last few seconds.

On the other hand, when you finally do get a Food Saver you'll be well accessorized.

lol. I sent an e-mail to the seller to see if I can work something out with him. I doubt it will work, but I imagine that I will still have to pay for it. The seller offers a full return policy, but shipping would cost me as much as the damn item costs.

J

Ok, well she just wrote me back and said that she sent a message to the other bidder. She said that if she can get him to buy it, she will only charge me some charge that ebay makes her pay no matter what. She claims it's around 8.5% can anyone verify this?

J

Ok, well she just wrote me back and said that she sent a message to the other bidder. She said that if she can get him to buy it, she will only charge me some charge that ebay makes her pay no matter what. She claims it's around 8.5% can anyone verify this?

J

She just wants you to cover the ebay fees for selling the item. Ebay charges those fees based on the price of the item and since it sold, she has to pay it. Since she has to do the legwork and try and get another buyer, seems fair to me.

See, I thought that I could do something like that, but since I'm not too familiar with e-bay, I didn't know how to do that. dangit. Oh well.

Yeah, I told her I'd pay the $2 fee she wanted me too. I'd rather pay that than pay $30 for the unneeded item.

If you retract a bid because you have second thought and ebay figures it out, you will be banned. I think you handled the situation the best way. A $2 mistake is no big deal, just a good thing the seller is helpful and understanding.

Store and Cut? You mean it stores a roll of bags and contains a cutting mechanism to cut the bag to length?

You mean, it does exactly what the FoodSavers do? I have yet to see a FoodSaver that does not store a roll and have a small razor blade device installed to cut the bags... inside the vacuum unit.

Redundant.

Store and Cut? You mean it stores a roll of bags and contains a cutting mechanism to cut the bag to length?

You mean, it does exactly what the FoodSavers do? I have yet to see a FoodSaver that does not store a roll and have a small razor blade device installed to cut the bags... inside the vacuum unit.

Redundant.

How many food savers had you seen before you bought one a year ago? They have been on the market for a very long time.

I have been shopping for one since I was 12, I think I last counted that I have seen 57 different models, though I will have to check my headboard to tell for sure.

I have been shopping for one since I was 12, I think I last counted that I have seen 57 different models, though I will have to check my headboard to tell for sure.

I kept a different tally on my headboard. :rockin:

And I had a food saver oh, ten years ago that stored the roll in the unit.

-OCD

On a recent outing to my basement I came across the elusive Foodsaverus Sans Storagus und Cutterus. Its 3 months old, much better quality than my old seal-a-meal but wish it had a cutter.

4151445905_64cc99bf05_o.jpg

4152206538_d47c7dd31d_o.jpg

On a recent outing to my basement I came across the elusive Foodsaverus Sans Storagus und Cutterus. Its 3 months old, much better quality than my old seal-a-meal but wish it had a cutter.

My old roomate had one like this too, no cutting implements, had to use scissors. I can't cut something straight to save my life.

If you retract a bid because you have second thought and ebay figures it out, you will be banned. I think you handled the situation the best way. A $2 mistake is no big deal, just a good thing the seller is helpful and understanding.

Not true, i've done it before. As long as you don't have a history of doing it you will be fine. He made an honest mistake mis-reading the description, it happens.

Well, I've finished my problem. The seller told me that the other bidder accepted the item and I don't have to pay anything.

Not true, i've done it before. As long as you don't have a history of doing it you will be fine. He made an honest mistake mis-reading the description, it happens.

The key is if ebay catches you. I have gotten away with it before, but if they are in the right to ban you for life if they think you broke the terms and conditions.

I'm glad someone out bid you. It's always upsetting to make a mistake if it costs you money, but you really have to read the listings details-Some sellers are REALLY shady! They will use "stock images" for used items,profit off shipping,hell, some people just BAIT and SWITCH an item.

A few bad sellers(and buyers) make it harder to do "business" on Ebay(that's why I have my own website that's hassle free)

As an EBAY Power Seller myself, I can honestly say that i do not offer "auction style" listings anymore because of the numerous bid retractions, non-paying winners, offers to "end an auction" early emails.

I now only sell my EMS Kits as "Buy It Now" style listings that require instant payment. I list very detailed descriptions, as well as shipping/customer service policies.

Sorry for going off on a rant, but I too learned the hard way about "skimming" over an auctions details.

Latest posts

Back