Do storebought craft brews continue to age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamW

Reaction score
Anything that you could potentially harvest the yeast from, if you leave it in your fridge will the taste continue to change? On the same lines, does anyone know how long craft breweries usually keep their bottled beer carbonating on the shelf before selling it?
This question isn't really for any practical purpose, I just was curious if anyone knew the procedure.

Yes

Since most craft breweries market several beers, they bottle enough to last them through the next run. Days to weeks. The exception is bottle-conditioned beer, but even there a month would be a long time. Bottles take up much more space than fermenters.

Anything that you could potentially harvest the yeast from, if you leave it in your fridge will the taste continue to change? On the same lines, does anyone know how long craft breweries usually keep their bottled beer carbonating on the shelf before selling it?
This question isn't really for any practical purpose, I just was curious if anyone knew the procedure.

A good brewery will only release a beer once the carbonation levels are appropriate. I know with Alesmith down the street, they perform carbonation checks so they know when to send a beer out.

and yes, beer will change with age. Some for the good, some not so much. Aging in a fridge is less beneficial than at cellar temps, though. A little more warmth will add character to the beer over time and allow it to develop.

There are many different beers that you can harvest yeast from.Stone,rogue,victory,and the list goes on.

Back