Adding ginger to cyser in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderslug

Reaction score
I've got a small batch of cyser in the secondary for about 6 weeks now, but I'm wishing I had added more ginger at the start. Is it too late to add more ginger at this phase? I may rack off this weekend and bulk age in gallon jugs, and was thinking of adding more ginger at that point. Is this feasible? Any suggestions on how to do it?

I have been experimenting with a one gallon batch of Nettles & Ginger wine, when it came time to rack it off the lees, the ginger taste wasn't as strong as I'd like.
What I did was to thinly shave about 5 oz fresh ginger root(I probably used about 13oz total, I really like ginger) and boiled it with some water, making a ginger tea. I added the ginger to my new secondary, then racked the wine into it, then used the ginger tea to top up the secondary. After a week, I racked the wine off of the ginger to a jug to age.
Not sure if it's the best way to add more ginger flavor, but it seemed to work for me.

the hotest/strongest part of the ginger root, is, apparently, the outer part of the root.

So I'd say that if you just soaked a piece so that you can use a kitchen scouring pad type thing to scrub the skin off it, then just grate it coarsely and add it in.

that should do the trick.

Or you can get ginger extract concentrate and just add a teaspoon and then taste it to see if it's up to the flavour you're looking for....

The last time I made a ginger wine, I used way too much (about 4lb in 3 gallons) and it tasted a little bland, but the ginger taste had increased with ageing, so now it's been back sweetened a lot to make it like "stones ginger wine". I'm quite pleased with it.

So either way, don't go over the top or you might taste all ginger and no apple/honey.....

regards

fatbloke...

I've got a small batch of cyser in the secondary for about 6 weeks now, but I'm wishing I had added more ginger at the start. was thinking of adding more ginger at that point. Is this feasible? Any suggestions on how to do it?

In short: Yes.

I'd rack onto peeled, sliced fresh ginger, though you could also grate it if you wanted. I've also simmered sliced ginger in a small amount of water & racked onto that. I think the best results are from combining these 2 methods. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Back