Other hobbies besides brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean THIS Vinnie Jones?

vinniejones.jpg

All I see is a red X. I'm going to assume that my ISP is blocking random pictures again since I don't think there are any nude pictures of Vinnie Jones on the net.

Guitar, Aquariums, Poker(play as much as we can in our neighborhood), Photography, Notre Dame Football since birth, Video Gaming..

Whoa... scary. Me too. All of it except football, and I haven't gotten around to serious photography, but I'm on the verge.

LOL, you sound like me. My wife says I collect hobbies as a hobby. I have most of a Harley in the garage that I have been collecting parts for over the past 10 years. I have a ham license, lots of fishing gear, too many computers, plenty of guns. I bake bread from scratch and sometimes run my smoker all day. Beer is one that has been around a while but I go through phases of heavy brewing and then none for a bit.

Replace the Harley with a couple nice cameras and you are me! Oh yeah, and an amateur chocolatier to boot.

When I finally starting making some good money when I was 30 I thought to myself "what was I really interested getting into when I was young but my parents either couldn't/wouldn't pay for." My next thought was that it was now too late to start a coke habit.

Besides the drumming, sports and the like I got heavily in to remote controlled airplanes. The money was good so when a $700 plane went down, just order another one. Then I found a guy out of Arizona who builds 200mph foam/fiberglass wings (google Ritewings/Chris Klique). I had a $1300 one go in at 150mph.

The money isn't that great anymore, but since getting in to beer, it makes it more fun!

~Di

FISHING (mostly from a kayak), hunting, barbeque/smoking meats, wood working, cigars (interested has waned on this lately though.... it messes up your taste buds), gardening (sucks living in an apartment now though), and oh yeah homebrewing!

I, too, collect lots of hobbies, so even though when I get into something and really like it I try to keep my G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) under control to see if I keep doing it.

I had been interested in home brewing but wasn't really going to pursue it, then my brother in law gave me a beginners kit with ale pail, hefe ingredients, etc. that he wasn't going to use. It's been full steam ahead since then. Looking at keg equipment next year....

Besides brewing I am into Ultimate Frisbee, Disc Golf, Bread Baking, Cooking in General, Gardening (carnivorous plants mostly), and just started getting into old school shaving thanks to another member on here (Edcculus)

RC flying - slope soarers and electric
Cars - I have a 500whp Subaru STi
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - I have a purple belt
Bird ringing - bird research, capture, tagging

Music... guitar, bass, mandolin. I'm a career sound engineer.

Anything outdoors... skiing, climbing, mt biking, hiking

Restoring vintage VWs (most expensive)... currently have a '71 camper, '74 412(look it up) and a '73 bug.

Used to shoot a bow when I was a kid, would like to get back into that.

Drinking beer is probably the hobby I spend most time on though ;)

I had a 70-71 (??) squareback. Needed a new transmission and I could not find one so I traded it in for something new. I was in my 20's. I even took it to a guy who worked only on VW's and one look and he told me good luck finding one, but if I did he would install it. Should have tried rebuilding it but back then $$ were few. I wish today I still had that thing.

Woodworking is my other passion - you can see my bar build in my sig...
I also write (fiction), play guitar, and tinker on cars (I own a modded Audi A4).

Saltwater aquairia - getting bored with that
Played guitar for a few years, played in a few bands. Haven't picked it up since college.
Atv's I have an 08 Suzuki z400 slightly modded.
Brewing - slowely becoming an obsession.

Hunting and finding native american artifacts and relics. Look at my profile for some personal finds.....if ya want to

Hunting and finding native american artifacts and relics. Look at my profile for some personal finds.....if ya want to

I found a few arrow heads on my property. A couple chipped but I have one that is perfect and one just slightly less. I found them plowing my gardens. Just a bit smaller than those, but around here deer is probably the largest animal they would have hunted. I live on a large creek. The people we brought the house from probably got most of them as they had a bunch. He even found a complete pestle and mortar set shaped to fit into the palm of ones hand. My neighbor who lived there all his life said as kids they found tons of them, they are farmers.

I get into mountain biking, diving (scuba and free diving)..... mmmmm fresh scallops and lobster washed down with a nice pilsner! And recently summer hockey, which is 6-a-side field hockey, pretty intense, but a heap of fun (yeah, it's coming into summer down here). I'm also an avid cook, and I have an extremely small wine collection. Oh, and camping too, usually coastal places so I can tie it in with the diving.....

Other than brewing, I like to make cider, mead, and wine. I am remodeling my old farmhouse, so I get a lot of woodworking time now but not so much the joinery I really prefer. Lots of demo and structural building, followed by playing electrician, then drywaller, then finish carpenter.

I am also active in keeping bonsai trees, martial arts (not currently no money for dojo fees), scotch, coffee, wine, beer (all drinking of course).

The outdoors camping,hiking,fishing and hunting. Also roses because theirs no more beautiful flower in the world. I'm just stuck on firearms though it's been a life long affliction but bass fishing is a close second.

Apart from brewing, I enjoy working on cars (imagine that...) I have my '06 Saab 9-3 Aero that is my baby and will have some sweet mods come spring time!

Also, I coach my daughter's U8 soccer (football) team and at the tender age of 37, I started playing myself... and of all positions, keeper! I always wanted to play when I was a kid but living on a farm, there wasn't much time and my school was not large enough for a boys team.

As for the proper term, LGI I much prefer to use football but my countrymen would think i was talking about that game where the ball is mostly played with the hands... Around my like minded friends, it is called football as it should.

I've built a large percentage of my stereo equipment. Amplifiers, preamps, and loudspeakers from scratch. I always have a large garden (my best crop of carrots ever this year, and I'm going to use Orfy's recipe for carrot wine). I spend a lot of time with my nose in a book, and a lot of times the book is the Bible. I've got a Honda CL360 that I ride to work when I can.

My favorite hobby involves SWMBO. :ban:

Time spent with SWMBO (of course)

and spending time with the family of course.

And there it is. Unless I missed it, SWMBO / family wasn't called out until posts 56 & 57. Sure there are things we do together (or by ourselves) that you could call a hobby but time with them is what I consider my hobby. Oh, and brewing (they rarely help with that)!

I drink what I brew :)

In all seriousness I used to collect baseball cards but the hobby sucks now... it's just not fun anymore.

This is really the only hobby I have right now. (not that I have time for another with 2 kids under 4)

Well I've been a cyclist since a skiing accident put me in the hospital for a week and 12 months of re-hab on my reconstructed knee. Several Bikes since as money provided. So now I have several.
Then there was the "Speed" need! Auto crossing, A VW GTI ... that is still waiting for the roll cage in the garage. So I down sized to a 125 Racing clutch Kart for racing. Well after 3 years and seriously bruised ribs every w/e out...
Got into Sailing, then work just got in the way.... It's in the garage...
Then I needed a tractor to do work around the property.... take care of the road maint. Brush hog the acreage and help the neighbors... 3pt splitter, for wood... then 3pt Tiller to start gardening....

a 24' x 36' pole barn is full of all the toys. But I'll be quitting work in 24 months and I plan on taking my time and spreading it around all my hobbies!!!:ban::D:rockin:

Well I've been a cyclist since a skiing accident put me in the hospital for a week and 12 months of re-hab on my reconstructed knee. Several Bikes since as money provided. So now I have several.
Then there was the "Speed" need! Auto crossing, A VW GTI ... that is still waiting for the roll cage in the garage. So I down sized to a 125 Racing clutch Kart for racing. Well after 3 years and seriously bruised ribs every w/e out...
Got into Sailing, then work just got in the way.... It's in the garage...
Then I needed a tractor to do work around the property.... take care of the road maint. Brush hog the acreage and help the neighbors... 3pt splitter, for wood... then 3pt Tiller to start gardening....

a 24' x 36' pole barn is full of all the toys. But I'll be quitting work in 24 months and I plan on taking my time and spreading it around all my hobbies!!!:ban::D:rockin:

Retiring at 45? Nice, wish I could but got laid off too many times, plant closing, etc.

How does the 3pt splitter work out for you? I was thinking of getting one having a tractor and all instead of one with a motor.

DAMN, you guys keep reminding me of other hobbies...I went through the baseball card phase ...still have several boxes upstairs somewhere.....The grandbaby is my hobby now, he lives next door so we have him all the time. 13 months old and already my buddy. Calls me POP POP and when I tell him to go night night he will flop over and start snoring ( like me lol)
Another hobby was ( don't wanna argue about this) cockfighting. Handled my first fight at 12 years old. I was traveling all over fighting roosters every weekend during the season for years. Haven't set one down in many years but the last time I won 5 straight .... No roosters anymore but still have an affinity for the sport.

paintball, snowmobiling, waterskiing, cake decorating, cooking.

I played paintball for about 11 years before quitting this year. What kind of paintball did you play?

I would say my other big hobby right now is finding a job. Only a semester and a half left and I need to find a place to work after graduation.

Ain't it just like a newb to revive an old post.

My primary hobby is building and detailing scale models and researching the subject. I used to be all aircraft all the time... hence the wing_nut handle... but now mostly armor.

Sn850701.jpg

Helldiver2.jpg

Jagdtiger8.jpg

Img_9713.jpg

I've played the piano, guitar and drums. Have lost interest in all 3 and don't touch them anymore, although I'd kinda like to get back into piano. Was into Basketball for a very long time, then golf, don't play either anymore.

As for hobbies I actually kept. I've been snowboarding for 13 years, skiied for 3 years prior to that. I've also been into camping for as long as I can remember. I do some fly fishing and backpacking. I also do an ice fishing tournament every year but that is seriously just a one day a year thing (the high country of Colorado in February, gotta love it) And just for the hell of it, CUBS, Blackhawks, Packers

OMG I almost forgot. I was a die hard raiding WOW addict for 5 years. Homebrewing and swmbo finally broke me of that habit and I am eternally grateful. That was less of a hobby and more of an addiction.

Wow wing nut those are amazing! I work for a die-cast manufacturer, Exoto, so I know the work that goes into these, especially the hand-made versions.

EDIT: dur forgot about the hobbies I was so impressed!

I play guitar quite a bit. Been in a few bands, one of which opened for A Perfect Circle a while back. I also like to sit on my ass and play video games or read, and also camping and hiking.

I used to write all the time, but I could never finish a story, so I said to hell with it!

Does drinking homebrew count as a hobby?

(please excuse me if this has been posted before, even if I did it. sometimes you just don't want to read through a necrothread)

Wing nutz - very cool models. I love history too. I tried to get into models and Dioramas cause they are so cool to look at and like a window to the past but i just didnt have the skill or the patience to do it.

When i started the home brew SWMBO mentioned this better not end up like the tank model who with paint, exacto, air brush, etc still sits in the "modeling room" LOL.

Model stuff is in the corner with home brew all over the work space. Brew number 3 is on the stove as we speak. Luckily i am better at brewing then i was at modeling.

my main hobby is more of a life-long passion 20" BMX bikes... rode 'em as a kid and never stopped. im now into collecting, racing and freestyling on 80's BMX bikes. thats what got me into brewing, i wanted to brew a batch of beer for a big old school BMX BBQ i hosted last year.

other than that?
mtb (xc and dh), skiing/boarding and VW's (parts/service director at a dealership)
oh yeah, having fun at whatever i do

I put together a little music studio in my basement, I jam down there from time to time. Playing poker, videogames, & collecting vinyl are also draining my wallet.

Back