Need Mushroom recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
I have a ton of tiny crimini mushrooms that I picked up at Costco the other day. I grilled a bunch of them with some zucchini and chicken yesterday for dinner, but I need more recipes using them. I don't need to dehydrate them, I already have a ton of dehydrated criminis from the last time I bought too many, and I REALLY don't feel like running the dehydrator in 80 degree weather.

I figured I could do a fresh mushroom risotto, but that only uses a couple cups of these puppies. Any suggestions? Your favorite mushroom recipes? I'm trying to eat healty, so avoiding massive quantities of cream and whatnot would be preferred.

I also have a ton of grape tomatoes that I need to use. Any suggestions as far as those guys would be awesome too!

saute a bunch of them with a shallot in butter until theyre nice a soft then hit them with some white wine. let it burn off then season them and process them in a food processor until smooth. spread onto homemade croutons as a nice appetizer. this stuff has a french name i can't remember at the moment but it tastes great.

just thought of something else. make a double batch of what i mentioned above but don't process half in the food processor. instead, mix it with a good amount of fresh grated parmesiano regiano and use it to stuff ravioli.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms, brushed clean with damp towel
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and butter. Add mushrooms and season with salt, pepper and thyme then cook 15 minutes until evenly browned and tender. Add wine and deglaze the pan. Add parsley and transfer mushrooms to a serving dish.

courtesy of the annoying Rachel Ray

Mushroom Soup.

Sweat out a few pounds of the Crimini along with a diced sweet Onion in a large pot. Add a generous sprig of Thyme, a Bay leaf or two and a few quarts of Chicken Stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for a few minutes, add about a cup or two of Heavy Cream, adjust your salt and a fresh grinding of White Pepper. Serve with some crusty bread on a fall day. To make it really sing, add some dried wild mushrooms in with the stock. I usually make this strictly with a plethora of wild mushrooms. This freezes very well as long as you keep the cream down, or omit it prior to freezing and then add it when you reheat it.

Grape tomatoes are good mostly for salads, garden or pasta imho. If you cook them they are an odd texture, at least I think so. They go well with Goat Cheese, fresh Herbs, a drizzle of high quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a sprinkling of coarse salt and a grating of Black Pepper.

A take off on KingBrianI's second suggestion, omitting the Parmesiano, but do process it, bind it with and egg and some plain bread crumbs, spread it on Phyllo, top with Gruyere, roll it up and bake it until golden brown in a 375 oven. Cut into rounds and serve as an appetizer.

What do you think about mushroom patties, similar to crab cakes or zucchini patties? cook the mushrooms first, bind with an egg, some cheese and bread crumbs, then fry?

What do you think about mushroom patties, similar to crab cakes or zucchini patties? cook the mushrooms first, bind with an egg, some cheese and bread crumbs, then fry?

Sure why not? If they are sizable then you can always make stuffed mushrooms, which are a perfect appetizer to freeze. Then you just reheat them whenever you feel like having some.

Mushroom Soup.

Sweat out a few pounds of the Crimini along with a diced sweet Onion in a large pot. Add a generous sprig of Thyme, a Bay leaf or two and a few quarts of Chicken Stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for a few minutes, add about a cup or two of Heavy Cream, adjust your salt and a fresh grinding of White Pepper. Serve with some crusty bread on a fall day. To make it really sing, add some dried wild mushrooms in with the stock. I usually make this strictly with a plethora of wild mushrooms. This freezes very well as long as you keep the cream down, or omit it prior to freezing and then add it when you reheat it.

Sorry to hijack the thread but this recipe sounds great save for one thing, the thyme. Do you have a recommendation for replacing the thyme or would I just omit it? I have a really odd allergy of some sort when it comes to thyme. The stuff upsets my stomach and gives me a nasty headache.

Sorry to hijack the thread but this recipe sounds great save for one thing, the thyme. Do you have a recommendation for replacing the thyme or would I just omit it? I have a really odd allergy of some sort when it comes to thyme. The stuff upsets my stomach and gives me a nasty headache.

Wow, never heard of that sorry to hear it! You could try some Sage, although Thyme is unique imho and I have never found a proper substitute.

Wow, never heard of that sorry to hear it! You could try some Sage, although Thyme is unique imho and I have never found a proper substitute.

Yeah, took us a while to figure out what it was but eventually we found enough recipes that caused those same symptoms and then in looking through those recipes the one common denominator was thyme. Took one of those recipes, chicken and 40 cloves, substituted sage (I think) for the thyme and felt fine afterwards. Ironically, in doing some research I found several sites that recommend thyme as a herbal cure for....headaches and nausea.

/End Hijack

I made those patties last night and they were GOOD.

I chopped up a bunch of mushrooms (3-4 cups), minced 3 cloves of garlic, and sauteed them with a little butter, salt, pepper and thyme until they stopped hemorrhaging liquid, then mixed them with about 1/2-3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and 1 egg. Then I formed 8 patties and fried them, 4 at a time in a little olive oil in a nonstick pan. They were damn good. I'll be making these again next time I buy mushrooms from costco!

Cool. On a related note, I sauted up some of this last night:

sparassis_crispa_20021002_24.jpg

these

Cantharellus.cibarius.jpg

and these

post2.jpg

I am a big fan of mushrooms :D I'll save them in proper size packets in the freezer for topping Pizza, filling Omelettes or stuffing into things.

I have a ton of tiny crimini mushrooms that I picked up at Costco the other day. I grilled a bunch of them with some zucchini and chicken yesterday for dinner, but I need more recipes using them. I don't need to dehydrate them, I already have a ton of dehydrated criminis from the last time I bought too many, and I REALLY don't feel like running the dehydrator in 80 degree weather.

I figured I could do a fresh mushroom risotto, but that only uses a couple cups of these puppies. Any suggestions? Your favorite mushroom recipes? I'm trying to eat healty, so avoiding massive quantities of cream and whatnot would be preferred.

I also have a ton of grape tomatoes that I need to use. Any suggestions as far as those guys would be awesome too!

You might like this:
1lb crimini mushrooms; washed, brushed, rinsed, trimmed & quartered.
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup porter (I use Sam Smith's Taddy Porter)
1/4 cup Kikoman soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, minced OR 1 tablespoon dried, crushed tarragon
Begin by reducing the beer by about 1/3. Saute mushrooms in molten butter, when they start to expel liquid, add the beer & tarragon, saute this for about 3 minutes or so, it should start to thicken a little; when it does, add the soy sauce & stir. Keep everything moving quickly. You should be able to smell when the soy sauce starts to carmelize, it only takes about 30 seconds or so, then remove from heat & continue to stir for another 30 seconds to 1 full minute.
This is suitable as a side dish of sorts, but was originally developed as a sauce/topping for meats. It goes well with beef, pork, lamb, or venison. It also works for topping baked potatoes. If it's to chunky for your taste, mince it as fine as you like. I've even experimented with adding a few blueberries with the mushrooms, but I haven't determined the exact amount that works best with this yet. I've also drizzled honey over it just before serving, but this seems to be an aquired taste.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. Regards, GF.

Cool. On a related note, I sauted up some of this last night:

sparassis_crispa_20021002_24.jpg

these

Cantharellus.cibarius.jpg

and these

post2.jpg

I am a big fan of mushrooms I'll save them in proper size packets in the freezer for topping Pizza, filling Omelettes or stuffing into things.

what are those? im not familiar with any of them....

Also who ever mentioned mushroom beer...........good luck:mug:

Latest posts

Back