I strained by hops while transferring to the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAbrewer

Reaction score
I was just wondering if this is something commonly done. I strained my wort when transferring from the boil to the primary. I haven't seen it mentioned much. Just wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to doing this. I just brewed the Northern Brewer Double IPA.

Thanks

:mug:

If you did what I think you did(strain through a colander/mesh strainer or through a nylon hops/grain bag) then yes, totally normal thing to do. It gets rid of some of the break material and hops particles and it helps aerate the wort before you pitch your yeast.

You don't have to strain, but I think more brewers do than don't. You're post doesn't mention temp, but you want to cool the wort before you strain it.
In addition to less trub in you primary straining does a good job of aerating your wort which will make your yeast happy.

Be sure to sanitize your strainer or anything else you are using that contacts the cooled wort. I've done this in the past but always worried that it was next to impossible to really sanitize those mesh stainless steel strainers.

Got Trub? said:
Be sure to sanitize your strainer or anything else you are using that contacts the cooled wort. I've done this in the past but always worried that it was next to impossible to really sanitize those mesh stainless steel strainers.

Yes, i did cool, and did sanitize the strainer. I know what you mean by not thinking you got the whole thing sanitized. I let the strainer soak in the sanitizer the whole time i was boiling the wort, so i figured that's the best i could do. I can't wait to see how it comes out. thanks

I do it every brew. Like other have mentioned it helps get rid of gunk and helps aerate. All you have to do to sanitize it is let it soak in your fermenting bucket while you are sanitizing it. If you are using a carboy for primary, you could let it soak in a bucket of sanitizer (which is a good thing to have around on brewday anyway!).

Latest posts

Back