Mix and pour or gently pour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to open my first bottle of gingerale and I see some sediment at the bottom most likely zest and yeast. Do I pour the liquid off the sediment like bottle conditioned beer or should I stir it up prior to pouring?

I have no experience in it, but in the book "Fix the Pumps" (as in affix the handles?) the author claims all the flavor is in the sediment because ginger taste gets killed off when in (acidic?) solution - thus agitate just before drinking. Claims this was a huge problem in commercial bottling which was tackled by some Canada Dry process.

I juice my ginger before I make the soda and let the juice sit. A clay like sediment gradually falls to the bottom after a couple days and I poor off the juice. I typically do this twice because I like to have a clear soda.

The sediment has a lot of spice/heat in it. So I guess I have to use more juice for the same level of spiciness, but I think it makes for a smoother taste.
I also strain out zest if I use it too.

Back