Milwaukee Visit - Tourist Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I'm heading to Milwaukee 6/30 - 7/7. Some of you already know I'm from there but it's been 10 years since I moved and all previous trips were quick in/outs for weddings/funerals.

So what stuff/bars/restaurants have come into play that I'd want to check out? I'm already going to Summerfest and the Zoo (MKE zoo rocks). Brewers are on the road the whole darn week. Probably stay 1-2 nights in a hotel downtown so I don't have to drive if Water Street / night life down there is still good (expanded?). Home base is Waukesha the other nights.

We visited friends there a couple years ago and went to Summerfest, or Riverfest, some kind of 'fest. We especially liked the show the Pat McCurdy does-very funny.

As far as bars go, I think the only one we attended was called "The Safe House" and you have to give a password to get inside or perform some goofy tricks if you don't know the password.

Milwaukee was cool and I can't wait to go back, hope you have fun. :mug:

Safe house is for real tourists :D. I think I went there about 5 years ago just to see how much it changed. Seemed a bit run down but still a "must do" for those who've never been.

Any good sushi bars for those that know sushi?

olllllo - I don't know if Angela would go for that place... Definitely is different; I'll see if she wants.

I like both the Ale House and Water Street. I think I favor the WSB just a bit. Also, Sprecher in suburban Glendale, has a nice tour.

Oooh crap. There used to be an awesome steak joint that was just north of downtown and it was actually in a converted house. Grandma, Dad and daughters ran the place. Dad actually cooked the steaks behind the bar and were the best friggen steaks evar! Real small but took forever to get a seat. Think they moved to an old strip joint building (1 story white building downtown). They're shtick was being rather abrasive but the steaks were killer. Grandma actually took my chair when I went to the bathroom for another table. She's probably dead now.

Anyways, me needs the best "local" steak joint recommendation too.

boldone said:
Safe House was a blast. I would check out the WaterStreet Brewery too. The food wasn't bad and the IPA was awesome.

http://www.safe-house.com/mainmenu.cfm

If you want the password PM me.

http://www.waterstreetbrewery.com/home.htm

No, No, NO! Do NOT give him the password! Part of the fun is being inside the Safe House watching people do "tricks" to get in. If you don't know the password, you have to perform an action to be allowed in.

Other fun touristy things- the new art museaum by the lake. It's really nice. There is an IMAX theatre downtown near the Cellular Arena. Good restaurants all over, but especially downtown. I am a big fan of Milwaukee Ale House, too. It's fun to sit outside and watch the boats go by.

If you don't already have your reservations made for a hotel downtown, do it right away! It's the most expensive time to stay downtown because of Summerfest. After Summerfest, there should be some rooms though.

Well there's Summerfest. Lakefront Brewery tour which runs daily. Maybe a SEWAGE meeting could be planed for around that time. Summerfest. Harley-Davidson tour. Risk your life while shopping at Mayfair or any mall around here. (For the wife) the Botanical Gardens. And did I mention Summerfest?

I would highly recommend the public museum over the Zoo. The zoo was really talked up by people I knew, but I thought it was very disappointing. Maybe my sights had just been set too high. I have been to some much better zoos, like St. Louis, San Diego, and Washington D.C. On the other hand, almost no one I knew talked about the public museum but I really enjoyed it. In the 5 or so years I lived there, I bet I hit it close to 7 times.

The art museum is very nice, although I don't care that much for art. My girlfriend and I made a day of it with the art museum and a nice meal at Pieces of Eight right on the lake. Decent food, but a great view.

Lakefront brewery has some nice beers, although when I lived there I almost always drank Sprecker at home.

Museum - I don't think I've been there in 20+ years and it was a nice one back then. Thanks and might do that. Don't ever go to an AZ zoo. Daughter wants the zoo so we'll head there. Funny about the San Diego zoo though. Thought it was way overrated and overpriced.

Sprecher... thats a given. I know Randy (Sprecher). I worked for his partner/financer when he was just getting started.

Yes Sause comma I'm definitely going to Summerfest. Just not on the 3rd or 4th!!!

desertBrew said:
Any good sushi bars for those that know sushi?

olllllo - I don't know if Angela would go for that place... Definitely is different; I'll see if she wants.

Sushi...not sure of the name of it, but we ALWAYS make sure we go to the one on Prospect--maybe the Milwaukee boys can help me out with the name of the place. It is right next to a Korean restaurant...

olllllo said:
Kopps... Get a burger and custard.

Definitley. No trip to MKE is worth it without Kopps custard and a huge greasy cheeseburger with fried onions.

I'd second, third, whatever the art museum. We go there all the time because it is about 2 blocks from my Mom's apartment on Waverly.

With the time frame you are looking at Summerfest (multiple times) is mandatory as well as the fireworks on the lakefront on 03 July. Other then that you got the Brewers, Sprecher, Ale House, Miller, Lakefront Brewery, Water St Brewery, the Zoo, the Museum, the Domes, plenty of theaters and such including the symphony, shopping at Southridge, Mayfaire, Grand Ave, or Brookfield Square, fishing, hanging out at Lincoln memorial park, the Art Museum . . . I could list stuff out for hours

Yeah I think a SEWAGE outing would be good for around that time I'm thinking meeting up at Summerfest or possibly the fireworks on the 3rd at the Lake . . .

Pumbaa said:
Yeah I think a SEWAGE outing would be good for around that time I'm thinking meeting up at Summerfest or possibly the fireworks on the 3rd at the Lake . . .

I'm assuming it is still a nightmare to get the hell out of downtown on the 3rd? Last time we got home at about 4a but that was because we decided to take the bus down and then wait for traffic to thin out at some bars and then we missed the last run back to wherever the hell our cars were at. Ooh, bad memories of swmbo's (sister and wifey) nashing of teeth.

I don't think we're going to do more than 1 summerfest day, maybe two. I just got to figure out what day that is. Got a couple coming from CHI up and another couple coming down from GB. When that is figured out I'll let you guys know in case a SEWAGE could happen that same day. No brewers; they're out of town the whole week. Another visit where i just get to drive by the new stadium :mad:.

Dude said:
Sushi...not sure of the name of it, but we ALWAYS make sure we go to the one on Prospect--maybe the Milwaukee boys can help me out with the name of the place. It is right next to a Korean restaurant...

I think I remember that place. Used to go to one on the near east side before I moved; and there weren't that many around 10 years ago so I bet its the same.

Coerper's for steak (24th and State). Great neighborhood - about 3 blocks from Jeffrey Dahmer's old place. Last time I was to Coerper's, a guy walks up to me as I was parking on the street and says, "if you give me five bucks, I'll watch your car for you", translated as "if you don't give me five bucks, I'll watch your car disappear for you".

If you haven't been near downtown in a while, check out http://www.mchange.org/. Freeway traffic downtown can be kind of buggered up, especially if you remember a ramp being in one place and you get to where it was but now it is in another place.

Safehouse - it has changed quite a bit in the last ten years. It use to be more of a fun bar and now it seems to be more of a restaurant. Still kind of a neat place, just disappointed my last time there.

Second on the Sprecher tour (if only to get some beers) and Ale House (AHA discount). Also, just take a drive around, so much has changed. Lots of condos going up on the river just north of downtown towards the east side. I didn't recognize half of Oak Creek and Franklin. Big new Cabella's store northwest of town (Richfield area if I remember correctly). For some fresh air, a bike ride on the trail by the lake is always nice.

If you are taking about the sushi place on Prospect near North Ave., I think it is Izumi's.

desertBrew said:
I'm assuming it is still a nightmare to get the hell out of downtown on the 3rd?

yeah I dont even plan on getting back to the house until about Midnight so figure at least 2 hours after the fireworks are over to possibly get to the Southwest side (87th and Oklahoma)

Normally I get down to the lake about 10am ish and am there for the duration so it's not too bad considering

ANyone here ever been to Angelo's Piano bar? It's like a trip into the Twilight Zone, you spend the whole time wondering 'are these people for real'?
They are. I don't even know how to explain. If you are with people who are adventurous about trying unusual establishments, go there. It's just weird.

Wolf said:
ANyone here ever been to Angelo's Piano bar? It's like a trip into the Twilight Zone, you spend the whole time wondering 'are these people for real'?
They are. I don't even know how to explain. If you are with people who are adventurous about trying unusual establishments, go there. It's just weird.

Sounds like a place where you'ld meet friendly women with big hands and large adams apples.

Wolf said:

Angelo's is a complete trip. I used to go there every Wednesday about 10 years ago. It was a regular hangout for our group of friends. The old lady playing the piano and the guy just singing some standards. That place is classic.

As for the zoo, it is still one of the top rated in the nation.

Summerfest, after working there for 10 years I really try to avoid it. I spent way too many days there. I would get off of work when the headliners were done at the Amphitheater then head over to a couple of the stages that either my buddy ran or another one ran sound at. Just trying to cross the grounds as a sober person at 11pm was nearly intolerable. :cross: That being said, there is at least one day I am going to see a specific artist.

When I compare the local brewpubs, I would have to say that Milwaukee Ale House has the best atmosphere. Sometimes the weekends get annoying because it gets over packed with some fresh out of college party folk, but mid week it is nice. Water Street Brewery is nice, but if I go in for just a drink I feel like I am sitting at a restaurant bar and kind of taking up space that should be used by folks waiting for a table.

Cheers,
J

If you what to try some Water Street Brewery beers without the restraunt atmosphere check out brew city Bar-B-Q. It's owned by the same people and have quite a few of their beer on tap. Also they have some Milwaukee brewing history.

Fishing has been pretty good out of Milwaukee all this month and the big kings are starting to show up. There are a bunch of good charters you can take out of McKinley Marina if your into that.

The Landmark on Howell Ave. South of the airport has 50+ beers on tap. Some good selections to choose from. :mug:

My 'lil sister lives in downtown Milwaukee so i've made a few trips there in the last year; great little city!

I would also suggest the Milwaukee Ale House as well as the Sprecher and Lakefront Brewery tours. My sister says that the Y-not (Y-knot?) is a great little hole in the wall bar that is a lot of fun. They serve liter beers of various flavors at those.

MriswitH said:
My sister says that the Y-not (Y-knot?) is a great little hole in the wall bar that is a lot of fun. They serve liter beers of various flavors at those.

It is the Y-Not, but the original Y-Not is gone, but there is the Y-Not II and the Y-Not Y-Not Y-Not. I would guess your sister was talking about the Y-Not II. It is a pretty fun little place. That is usually a holiday spot when friends come into town. My wife used to live just up the road from there when we were dating, so I spent many an evening in the Y-Not.

Pumbaa said:
... Yeah I think a SEWAGE outing would be good for around that time I'm thinking meeting up at Summerfest or possibly the fireworks on the 3rd at the Lake . . .

Well I'm up here but time is flying. No time to even pop onto HBT to say hey. I did end up going to summerfest on the 4th as some peeps said it isn't that busy on the 4th and it wasn't that bad. More of a day/early evening session though.

Having a hard time hooking up with all my friends/family much less the virtual HBT crew. Maybe next time, but thanks for the nice weather! (110 in Tucson :eek:).

Back