Guide to Milwaukee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Local Brews Draft Beer Bar at Miller Park might be one of the best beer bars in the city. Top 10 easily. Very nice selection that has changed throughout the season. Prices are certainly fair for inside the ballpark, and really good on season ticket holder appreciation days (25% off). It's a shame you can only get to it on game days with a ticket. I hope they put in a second one next season to cut down on the lines, but I know the seat vendors are already pissed with the one.

been a few months since i've been in Milwaukee. i will be out at Songbird golfing in a couple weeks, though.

anywhere out near there (or off 41) that carries Third Space?

I'm late on this, but Third Space always seems to be on shelves at the local grocery store Sendiks. I'm sure there is one along your route next time.

Raised Grain is decent but nothing to go apeshit over. The flagship variety is pretty diverse style-wise, albeit run of the mill (Red IPA, Belgian Tripel, APA, IPA, Scotch Ale, Kolsch, Hefe, Amber, etc). They seem to be doing pretty well in the area and are expanding to a second location. It also seems that with time they have been more apt to experimenting past their flagships and trying their hand at NEIPA's and barrel aging (both with decent results... but again, not mind blowing). The taproom/brewery in Waukesha is relatively small but has a nice ambiance, well worth stopping in if you haven't yet.

If you are a fan of hops Third Space is your best bet in the Milwaukee area. Their tap list is generally dominated by hoppy offerings and they execute them well enough that I usually will drink multiple in a sitting and be perfectly happy about it. I highly recommend checking out their place and hanging out. The brewery is a converted old warehouse located in a somewhat resurging area that was a industrial ghost town for decades prior. The warehouse is a pretty open concept with bar is right in the middle of the building with the brewing operation sprawling around it. Third Space also has a lot of designated space for seating inside and they converted the loading dock into an urban beer garden of sorts. Most weekend nights they will have a food truck parked in the beer garden. Third Space is the full package in my opinion... unless you hate hops.

City Lights has one of the coolest spots in the city, if they could brew beer that tasted good they'd really be onto something. Outside of their coconut porter everything I've tried from them was on extract homebrew tier level... some high gravity offerings under attenuated, muddled hoppiness, are just plain basic and sub-par. The branding and the fact that they don't give their beer names has a minimalist appeal... but beneath the surface it just reeks of a business venture looking to cash out and give their possible buyers a proof of concept but blank canvas at the same time... but hey that's just my opinion.

Black Husky is worth the stop if you're near Riverwest. I like their taproom and beer garden, but it's not somewhere I could waste a day at.

Good City has good food (expensive for pub food), a cool space, and decent beer. I have high hopes for them as they seem to be doing pretty cool one-off releases. My only qualm with them is inconsistency... Motto was banging out the gate but I've had it multiple time since and some of the time it doesn't even seem like the same beer.

Like Minds has a cool little location on the east side of Milwaukee. They seem to be pretty focused on honing in on barrel aging and brett beers... which is a well needed in Milwaukee. Like Minds food menu was good as well, focusing more on tapas/small plates vs pub style offerings.

Those are the only breweries outside of the usual suspects (Lakefront, MKE, Sprecher) that I can confidently comment on. There are a few that I've generally avoided because I've heard negative things and/or aren't interesting to me.

Anyone been to 1840 yet? Anyone know when Vennture Brewing is finally going to open?

Just to add to previous comments...

Good City has the best food for a brewery in the city I have tried. The pork shoulder is fantastic, as are the curry fries and the mushrooms. They have a lot of IPA centered beers but also often have a wee keg with an experimental beer to try on the weekends. They are expanding their space rapidly.

City Lights is as cool as! They need to step their beer game up though :( Decent but not outstanding, hopefully with time they will improve or add some better beers.

Explorium Brewpub in southridge mall (does this still count as MKE?) has a good barrel aged selection. Tons of different ones to try. Food is super pricy though.

Westallion in West Allis opened pretty recently but I haven't had the chance to hit it yet which is criminal on my part as I work close to it.

I have heard great things about the Bavarian Bierhaus (other than all the free beer they had to give away....) I plan to get up there this spring!

Some really cool ones in the surrounding area as well.....

Raised Grain is decent but nothing to go apeshit over. The flagship variety is pretty diverse style-wise, albeit run of the mill (Red IPA, Belgian Tripel, APA, IPA, Scotch Ale, Kolsch, Hefe, Amber, etc). They seem to be doing pretty well in the area and are expanding to a second location. It also seems that with time they have been more apt to experimenting past their flagships and trying their hand at NEIPA's and barrel aging (both with decent results... but again, not mind blowing). The taproom/brewery in Waukesha is relatively small but has a nice ambiance, well worth stopping in if you haven't yet.

If you are a fan of hops Third Space is your best bet in the Milwaukee area. Their tap list is generally dominated by hoppy offerings and they execute them well enough that I usually will drink multiple in a sitting and be perfectly happy about it. I highly recommend checking out their place and hanging out. The brewery is a converted old warehouse located in a somewhat resurging area that was a industrial ghost town for decades prior. The warehouse is a pretty open concept with bar is right in the middle of the building with the brewing operation sprawling around it. Third Space also has a lot of designated space for seating inside and they converted the loading dock into an urban beer garden of sorts. Most weekend nights they will have a food truck parked in the beer garden. Third Space is the full package in my opinion... unless you hate hops.

City Lights has one of the coolest spots in the city, if they could brew beer that tasted good they'd really be onto something. Outside of their coconut porter everything I've tried from them was on extract homebrew tier level... some high gravity offerings under attenuated, muddled hoppiness, are just plain basic and sub-par. The branding and the fact that they don't give their beer names has a minimalist appeal... but beneath the surface it just reeks of a business venture looking to cash out and give their possible buyers a proof of concept but blank canvas at the same time... but hey that's just my opinion.

Black Husky is worth the stop if you're near Riverwest. I like their taproom and beer garden, but it's not somewhere I could waste a day at.

Good City has good food (expensive for pub food), a cool space, and decent beer. I have high hopes for them as they seem to be doing pretty cool one-off releases. My only qualm with them is inconsistency... Motto was banging out the gate but I've had it multiple time since and some of the time it doesn't even seem like the same beer.

Like Minds has a cool little location on the east side of Milwaukee. They seem to be pretty focused on honing in on barrel aging and brett beers... which is a well needed in Milwaukee. Like Minds food menu was good as well, focusing more on tapas/small plates vs pub style offerings.

Those are the only breweries outside of the usual suspects (Lakefront, MKE, Sprecher) that I can confidently comment on. There are a few that I've generally avoided because I've heard negative things and/or aren't interesting to me.

Anyone been to 1840 yet? Anyone know when Vennture Brewing is finally going to open?

Just to add to previous comments...

Good City has the best food for a brewery in the city I have tried. The pork shoulder is fantastic, as are the curry fries and the mushrooms. They have a lot of IPA centered beers but also often have a wee keg with an experimental beer to try on the weekends. They are expanding their space rapidly.

City Lights is as cool as! They need to step their beer game up though :( Decent but not outstanding, hopefully with time they will improve or add some better beers.

Explorium Brewpub in southridge mall (does this still count as MKE?) has a good barrel aged selection. Tons of different ones to try. Food is super pricy though.

Westallion in West Allis opened pretty recently but I haven't had the chance to hit it yet which is criminal on my part as I work close to it.

I have heard great things about the Bavarian Bierhaus (other than all the free beer they had to give away....) I plan to get up there this spring!

Some really cool ones in the surrounding area as well.....

Any new places to check out since these were posted? Heading to MKE this weekend and just found out that I'm responsible for the "entertainment". Haven't been to Milwaukee since October '14. Starting at Lakefront at 11 and maybe ending at MKE Brewing for the open house.

Starting at Lakefront at 11 and maybe ending at MKE Brewing for the open house.
Stubby's is right down the street from Lakefront and with 53 taps they always have something good on.

Third Space has already been mentioned but it's only 3 miles from Lakefront and I highly recommend it.

A new place not listed is Gathering Place. 2 1/2 miles north of Lakefront. Best new place we have been to since Third Space opened. www.gatheringplacebrewing.com

Black Husky is also in the area and I know you like hops so it's worth a stop also.

Echo the previous recommendations of Third Space and Good City. I myself need to get to Gathering Place, but I keep hearing good things..

1840 Brewing seems like they are doing interesting stuff, if you can find their beer. They don't have a taproom to visit, so I have yet to try anything from them.

Food-wise, I can recommend Iron Grate BBQ near the airport. http://irongratebbq.com/ It's relatively new, they have a few good local beer offerings, and very good BBQ/sides in my opinion. Set-up is kinda similar to a central TX BBQ spot. I myself didn't love the "Milwaukee Rib" (basically spare rib with the pork belly still attached) but otherwise very good BBQ, especially for the upper Midwest.

1840 Brewing seems like they are doing interesting stuff, if you can find their beer. They don't have a taproom to visit, so I have yet to try anything from them.
They have a "Tasting Room" instead. They only bottle ,no draft, but you can taste their beer from the bottle there or purchase one to go. Have been there once a brought a bottle home, is was ok. Keep hearing good things about them though.

And another plus one for Iron Grate. And if you go to Iron Grate you have to stop into Landmark 1850. Just to see the place if you have never been there.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like this is our plan of attack today.

Lakefront
Gathering Place
Black Husky
Company Brewing (Anybody been?)
Good City
Eagle Park

Hotel to pass out.

Edit: Skipping Company. Hopefully spending more time at Gathering Place now.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like this is our plan of attack today.

Lakefront
Gathering Place
Black Husky
Company Brewing (Anybody been?)
Good City
Eagle Park

Hotel to pass out.

Edit: Skipping Company. Hopefully spending more time at Gathering Place now.

Haha I was typing you could skip Company when you edited your post.

This looks like an excellent plan.

And you hit the lottery with the weather - it looks like it's going to be a rather nice day.

Have fun and report back!

Headed up for this today:

Central Waters Brewing Company
April 19 at 4:22pm ·
Mark your calendars! It is time for our annual tap takeover at Guu's on Mainin Stevens Point, and this is one for the books, so don’t miss it, Saturday April 28!

20 beers for 20 years!

Check out this tap list!

Shine On
Honey Blonde
Mudpuppy Porter
HHG APA
Rift IPA
Ouisconsing Red
Bourbon Barrel Stout
Brewhouse Coffee Stout
Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
Peruvian Morning
Rum Barrel Coconut Porter
Illumination Double IPA
De Klein Dood
Bourbon Barrel Belgian Quad
Space Ghost
Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale
Rye Barrel Stout -The last one!

Special Tappings:

Black Gold- 4pm

20th Anniversary Beer-5pm

The last ever keg of 18- tapped at 6pm!

Digging deep in the cellar for our hometown! See you there!

In Milwaukee 9/12 for a night.
Any of you cheeseheads in town and up for a beer?

Also, want NG (Spotted Cow, Moon Man) on tap somewhere. Ideally at a cool spot for taps and food. Open to suggestions. Hit me.

No idea. Would base location around dinner/beer plans if possible.
Yes, I will have a car.
For Moon Man / Spotted Cow on tap:

http://ubertaproom.com/

Order the cheese curds. And they have one of the largest selections of cheese in the city. And there are lots of places to visit within walking distance from here. Spice House, Usinger's Sausage House, Old German Beer Hall, the new Milwaukee Bucks stadium Fiserv Forum if that interests you.

Breweries:
Third Space (food truck only)
Good City - they serve food
Gathering Place - no food - well hot pretzels are food I guess

Food and good tap beer selection:
Camino
Vanguard
Stubby's - food can be iffy but they have 53 taps

Lots of other good choices available if none of these strike your fancy.

Some other MKE boys that may chime in here also.

Order the cheese curds. And they have one of the largest selections of cheese in the city. And there are lots of places to visit within walking distance from here. Spice House, Usinger's Sausage House, Old German Beer Hall, the new Milwaukee Bucks stadium Fiserv Forum if that interests you.

Breweries:

Camino
Vanguard

source.gif

Breweries:

Camino
Vanguard

Don't forget Eagle Park

Not to spite my advisor, but I am staying in Bay View. Walking distance to Burnhearts.
But there are other things around town that caught my eye (ACME records, Odd Duck, etc).

Thoughts on:
D-14
Enlightenment

Thanks. :)

Odd Duck is great, there's usually a long wait.

1840 - only been there once. No drafts, you have to buy a bottle and they will open it for you. Kind of weird.

D-14 and Enlightenment - haven't been to either.

Great tap selection at Burnheart's. The music is usually too loud for my grumpy old ass.

Also consider Palm Tavern and Sugar Maple. Great tap selection and both are quiet. ;)

And Cafe Centraal is next to Sugar Maple and is the place to go if you like Belgian beer.

If the wait is too long at Odd Duck walk across the street and eat at Vanguard. Some of the best brat's and sausages in the city (in a city full of brat's and sausages)

Not to spite my advisor, but I am staying in Bay View. Walking distance to Burnhearts.
But there are other things around town that caught my eye (ACME records, Odd Duck, etc).

Thoughts on:
D-14
Enlightenment

Thanks. :)

1840 is really just now opening to the public, and I believe is adding taps. Their stuff is solid, mostly NEIPAs and sour/saison styles.

D14 is middle of the road. Okay, neither good nor bad, kid of ho-hum. More a place for those breaking out of the macro world than established beer nerds.

I have not been to Enlightened, but I've heard they are kind of in the same boat as D14.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/ente...open-milwaukee-taproom-early-2019/1432006002/

Make room for more beer in Milwaukee: Dead Bird is planning a taproom in the Halyard Park area

A new brewery taproom is expected to open at W. Walnut and N. Fifth streets in early 2019.

You just have to get past the name: Dead Bird Brewing.

The moniker has a reasonable story, but the first thing to know is that the taproom will be new but the brewing company marks its third anniversary in November.

Nick Kocis and Jeremy Hach produced Dead Bird beers, such as Pamplemousse American Pale Ale, at Madison's House of Brews, where Kocis was a brewer. House of Brews went up for sale late last year, and Kocis went back to a day job in biochemistry. Dead Bird beers are currently produced at MobCraft Brewing, 505 S. 5th St., in Milwaukee.

The space in the Halyard Park neighborhood will be 3,600 square feet in total with taproom seating for 100. Kocis said Dead Bird will have an outdoor patio space on a wooden deck built out toward the parking lot that will have room for 40 to 50 people.

The plan calls for 16 tap lines that will rotate Dead Bird brews and a line dedicated to gluten-free beers. There also will be a line for house-made soda and maybe a tap line dedicated to cider.

The taproom will feature more than a dozen rotating stand-up arcade games, with competitions planned for the more popular titles, Kocis said.

"We were looking at everything and started hunting for commercial space," Kocis said. "We very quickly made the decision that Milwaukee was going to be a better option for us."

Many of the new places opening in Madison have some food component, but Kocis said they wanted the Dead Bird taproom to concentrate on beer and maybe some snacks. The Dead Bird founders looked east because they wanted to open a taproom that used local restaurants and food trucks for the food portion of the experience, and they wanted to concentrate on pouring beers.

And although he and Hach are from Madison, they were wooed to Milwaukee by economic grants and the "convivial feel" among Milwaukee brewers demonstrated by the Milwaukee Craft Brewers League.

The Halyard Park building was once part of a grocery and delivery company, Kocis said. The part they plan to use was built in 1906 and was the main storage facility. Other parts of the building date back to the late 1890s and were used for horse and wagon storage, as well as office space.

The name Dead Bird dates back to Kocis and Hach's college days in Platteville when they first became curious about brewing.

"The first thing you need (for brewing) is a pot, and that was when people were deep frying turkeys and burning down their garages. Jeremy's parents were into that, and we found a pot in the attic and there was a dead bird in it," Kocis said. They named their future brewery, and then cleaned the pot "within an inch of its life."

A dead bird symbol sits on the bottom of each Dead Bird logo glass.

Kocis said the plan calls for continuing to brew at MobCraft. Dead Bird won't have a brewing system in the beginning but likely would add a pilot system eventually.

In addition to Pamplemousse, Dead Bird also makes Order as Needed, an American pale ale; Wine Thief, a Belgian witbier style made with Sauvignon Blanc grape must; and The Unthinkable Muscleman, a double Imperial India Pale Ale.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/ente...open-milwaukee-taproom-early-2019/1432006002/

Make room for more beer in Milwaukee: Dead Bird is planning a taproom in the Halyard Park area

A new brewery taproom is expected to open at W. Walnut and N. Fifth streets in early 2019.

You just have to get past the name: Dead Bird Brewing.

The moniker has a reasonable story, but the first thing to know is that the taproom will be new but the brewing company marks its third anniversary in November.

Nick Kocis and Jeremy Hach produced Dead Bird beers, such as Pamplemousse American Pale Ale, at Madison's House of Brews, where Kocis was a brewer. House of Brews went up for sale late last year, and Kocis went back to a day job in biochemistry. Dead Bird beers are currently produced at MobCraft Brewing, 505 S. 5th St., in Milwaukee.

The space in the Halyard Park neighborhood will be 3,600 square feet in total with taproom seating for 100. Kocis said Dead Bird will have an outdoor patio space on a wooden deck built out toward the parking lot that will have room for 40 to 50 people.

The plan calls for 16 tap lines that will rotate Dead Bird brews and a line dedicated to gluten-free beers. There also will be a line for house-made soda and maybe a tap line dedicated to cider.

The taproom will feature more than a dozen rotating stand-up arcade games, with competitions planned for the more popular titles, Kocis said.

"We were looking at everything and started hunting for commercial space," Kocis said. "We very quickly made the decision that Milwaukee was going to be a better option for us."

Many of the new places opening in Madison have some food component, but Kocis said they wanted the Dead Bird taproom to concentrate on beer and maybe some snacks. The Dead Bird founders looked east because they wanted to open a taproom that used local restaurants and food trucks for the food portion of the experience, and they wanted to concentrate on pouring beers.

And although he and Hach are from Madison, they were wooed to Milwaukee by economic grants and the "convivial feel" among Milwaukee brewers demonstrated by the Milwaukee Craft Brewers League.

The Halyard Park building was once part of a grocery and delivery company, Kocis said. The part they plan to use was built in 1906 and was the main storage facility. Other parts of the building date back to the late 1890s and were used for horse and wagon storage, as well as office space.

The name Dead Bird dates back to Kocis and Hach's college days in Platteville when they first became curious about brewing.

"The first thing you need (for brewing) is a pot, and that was when people were deep frying turkeys and burning down their garages. Jeremy's parents were into that, and we found a pot in the attic and there was a dead bird in it," Kocis said. They named their future brewery, and then cleaned the pot "within an inch of its life."

A dead bird symbol sits on the bottom of each Dead Bird logo glass.

Kocis said the plan calls for continuing to brew at MobCraft. Dead Bird won't have a brewing system in the beginning but likely would add a pilot system eventually.

In addition to Pamplemousse, Dead Bird also makes Order as Needed, an American pale ale; Wine Thief, a Belgian witbier style made with Sauvignon Blanc grape must; and The Unthinkable Muscleman, a double Imperial India Pale Ale.

Not sure I love the location, but good luck to them.

Not sure I love the location, but good luck to them.

that's what i was thinking.

Milwaukee has changed a lot in the 15 years since i've lived there so maybe this isn't the sort of quasi-industrial/commercial/highway/empty lots area that's sort of disconnected from everything that i rememeber.

that's what i was thinking.

Milwaukee has changed a lot in the 15 years since i've lived there so maybe this isn't the sort of quasi-industrial/commercial/highway/empty lots area that's sort of disconnected from everything that i rememeber.

I feel like Brewers Hill hasn't gentrified the way some people were expecting, and Halyard Park is west of there. I don't think there'll be any foot traffic, and for people living down on Commerce St., they could just as easily go to Lakefront or Eagle Park or even Stubby's. There might be some people living on the north shore who will take MLK home and stop and grab a growler maybe, but I think it's gonna be tough.

I feel like Brewers Hill hasn't gentrified the way some people were expecting, and Halyard Park is west of there. I don't think there'll be any foot traffic, and for people living down on Commerce St., they could just as easily go to Lakefront or Eagle Park or even Stubby's. There might be some people living on the north shore who will take MLK home and stop and grab a growler maybe, but I think it's gonna be tough.

yeah, it's just sort of a no-man's land almost. there's no... there... there.

Back