How to bring home beer when traveling by air?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiaroscuro

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is a product available for those of us that like to bring home regional beers when we travel by air. Thus far I have carefully wrapped bottles in clothes and prayed that they make it through checked baggage. No breaks so far, but it does limit how many bottles I can safely bring home.

How do you bring home beer?

I bought some wine shippers (styro containers that are bottle shaped and keep bottles protected). Mind you, this would only really work with 22 oz bottles, but I packed a few of these into a large suitcase, surrounded by clothes, and then checked the bag at the gate. No problem.

You can no longer bring liquid (wine, beer, etc.) on board with you due to the current TSA rules.

Sad we cant bring it on board anymore :/ My dad actually uses the protective cases that toner cartridges come in (laser printers) So if you work at an office snag some of those!. They would really only work for the larger bottles (22 and up) but they are free!

I've noticed that I get one of those "Hey, we opened your luggage" cards from the TSA every time I fly with bottles of beer in my checked bags.

@Suthrncomfrt1884

That looks like a nice product, but I'm looking for something that I can check and doesn't cost $500 like some wine luggage cases that I've seen.

I picked up my wine shippers at a store in IL (Binny's), I've also seen similar styro containers at a local moving supply store (used for moving one's cellar treasures I presume). They were fairly cheap.

I brought 11 bottles (6 750ml and 5 375ml) back from Belgium last month. I wrapped and packed them all in my checked luggage using only the clothes I had packed. No breaks.

Having traveled all over the world a ridiculous amount of times I've always just wrapped bottles I was bringing back in my clothing in my checked luggage. Never had a break and never had a problem. Once in a while when you take the bottles out there will be condensation and you might initially fear there was a break, then check and find everything ok, that's just because of the luggage compartment temps and pressure.

Rev.

Back