Yeast at carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdillow

Reaction score
My lager has been chilling for a few weeks at about 36* and I have a question about carbing her up at bottle time. I washed the yeast from it, so can I just take a little turkey baster sample, warm it and the fermenter up, and squirt it with my priming sugar into the bottling bucket? Or should I make a mini starter first? I guess I'm a little nervous and don't want to end up with undercarbed beer. How much should I add for 5 gallons?

My lager has been chilling for a few weeks at about 36* and I have a question about carbing her up at bottle time. I washed the yeast from it, so can I just take a little turkey baster sample, warm it and the fermenter up, and squirt it with my priming sugar into the bottling bucket? Or should I make a mini starter first? I guess I'm a little nervous and don't want to end up with undercarbed beer. How much should I add for 5 gallons?

Well, usually the answer is "none". If you have a super super clear lager that has been lagering 8+ weeks, though, you could add some yeast if you're really worried about it.

I wouldn't use the washed yeast, though. You've spent way too much time and energy to risk a problem at this point. I'd boil up the priming solution, cool it, and add 1/3 package of dry nottingham yeast, stir well, and then rack the beer into it. That will be enough, and not risk contamination.

You probably won't need it. The viability of the lager yeast has taken a hit from the chilling, but it's enough to carb.

Still, if you're sure your sanitation is good, there's no harm in adding some yeast at packaging. I'd recommend a small starter with about 100 mL thick slurry.

Back