CCCXCIV IPA (All Citra)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSpang

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP001 California Ale
Yeast Starter
Yep
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
See post
Recipe is formulated to 65% efficiency

ABV:
6.7%

Grains:
14.0 lb American 2-row
1.0 lb American Caramel 40°L
0.5 lb Cara-Pils® Malt

Hops/Schedule:
.5 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 m
1 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m
0.75 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m
.75 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
1.5 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 m
2.5 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Pitched at 65 degrees. My OG was off, only 1.056. Primary fermentation for 3 weeks, then kegged. After 2 weeks in primary, I added the dry hops.

This is fermenting away right now, looks great :mug:

394? Ipa or am I doing my roman numerals wrong.

ahhh...a new idea...My next session ale...541(area code): 'DXLI: Area code ale'

Yep, I forgot to talk about where the name come from...

USA Hops

Citra is made by Hop Breeding Company, and the name that they gave it was HBC 394. The Roman Numerals are meaningless other than that they are 394.

Could make for some interesting packaging opportunities, though :rockin:

Pulled a sample the other day before adding the dry hops. It was 1.013, making it around 5.6 ABV. It's very tasty!

I'll be kegging it this weekend :mug:

Pulled a sample the other day before adding the dry hops. It was 1.013, making it around 5.6 ABV. It's very tasty!

I'll be kegging it this weekend :mug:

I think 1.013 is a pretty good gravity for an IPA that started around 1.056. Well done. Can you post a picture? I am looking to update my grain bill for a good IPA and I am curious what you have come up with.

Gotta love citra hops...

I think 1.013 is a pretty good gravity for an IPA that started around 1.056. Well done. Can you post a picture? I am looking to update my grain bill for a good IPA and I am curious what you have come up with.

Gotta love citra hops...

I'll shoot a photo when I keg it. I'd rather not risk oxidizing it, plus I have a wicked cold and I don't want to get my beer sick :drunk:

image-861092009.jpg

Here's a photo if the hydrometer sample. Still 1.013. It's pretty hazy as well.

It tastes very good so far. It's a bit sweeter than I expected, I think I could bump up the IBUs even more.

But man! It's only partially carbed, and it is REALY easy drinking! So far so good

Nice... I like the color. Keep the posts coming, I may be brewing something similar.

Love the color. I've been trying to achieve that color and I have had no success; not even close. Im even using extra light DME (7 SRM) with a slow boil. Maybe it's time for all-grain. Below is an example of my color. It's not your recipe. Just admired your color that much.

image-256227398.jpg

Pre yeast pitch

I've got a citra IPA on tap right now, pretty good. I was afraid of using citra to bitter, though, so I used cascade.

Love the color. I've been trying to achieve that color and I have had no success; not even close. Im even using extra light DME (7 SRM) with a slow boil. Maybe it's time for all-grain. Below is an example of my color. It's not your recipe. Just admired your color that much.

View attachment 42993

Pre yeast pitch

:off:
I'm not sure what your current methods are but try splitting your DME in half. Use one half as you normally would and then add the second half close to the end of the boil. This should reduce the amount of caramelizing and lighten your beer.

Nice! I just had a glass of my all-Citra IPA. In my limited experience, Citra benefits from a long conditioning. My batch was pretty funky for a while, but now, after 2 months in the bottle, it is awesome. Cheers!

cracked1 said:
:off:
I'm not sure what your current methods are but try splitting your DME in half. Use one half as you normally would and then add the second half close to the end of the boil. This should reduce the amount of caramelizing and lighten your beer.

I will give this a shot. Does it get added in at flame out?

I will give this a shot. Does it get added in at flame out?

What you'll usually see is the second half being added in with 15 minutes or so left in the boil. I would think it's to make sure you kill any nasties that may be hiding in there. There has been some arguments here though about whether or not this is necessary. Most often I see people boil for 45 minutes then take the pot off the heat to add the rest of the DME. This way you minimize the risk of immediate boil over and scorching. There are some people though, like you said, that add at flameout. The argument that I've seen was something along the lines that as long as it's above 165 degrees or so for a few minutes then it's ok. Go with what you feel comfortable with. Experiment some with amounts and times and I'm sure you'll find a method that suits you. Also, try doing a search within the forum about late DME additions (just typing "late DME" in the search brings up all kinds of stuff) and you'll probably get a bunch more info from people who have done a lot of these experiments.

Have fun with it! :mug:

Here's the beer fully carbed!

The head was actually much, much bigger but I poured this glass along the side. Beautiful lacing the whole way through.

The carbonation really helps with making it crisp and bitter. Lots of citrus and tropical fruits in the nose and in the flavor. It's got a nice malt backbone that cuts the bitterness a bit, making it fairly balanced.

Overall, this beer is nice. Simple as hell to make. I think the next time I brew this beer I'm gonna add some Amarillo in the flavor hop additions and the dry hopping.

MAN this is easy-drinking!

photo.jpg

Update on this brew- I found out today that this beer made it to best in show at a local competition! I don't know what place it came in, I will post when I find out.
:mug:

Edit:

It made 13 out of 100+ Entries (all categories).

Latest posts

Back