The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish we had the Bundesliga on tv here since it's more technical ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not its not. Bayern are excellent but Dortmund are getting worse each year and the rest are mediocre to poor. The level at the bottom half of the Bundesliga is far worse than the bottom half of the PL. Bayern are a great side who will walk the Bundesliga this season. That doesn't make it a very technical league though. In fact Bayern has zero on the PL in terms of watching it on TV. La Liga may be more technical, Seria A more tactical. For me the Premier League has the best balance though and is the best league in the world.

Was it constructive in any way? I don't think so. It was just a bunch of comments about how anyone that likes european leagues but doesn't like the MLS is a eurosnob *********. Why don't we just let everyone like what they are going to like and move on with our lives?

Why can't you let people think what they want? Some found it constructive to talk about while you did not........oh god we've started the round and round.....no make it stop.....

Come on man don't take some mild bitching on an internet forum so seriously. Can't we all just get along.

Why can't you let people think what they want? Some found it constructive to talk about while you did not........oh god we've started the round and round.....no make it stop.....

Come on man don't take some mild bitching on an internet forum so seriously. Can't we all just get along.

So it would be cool if we had a few people pop in and remind us how crap they think MLS is and then have a couple page long back and forth between them bringing up all the things they think are wrong with the league? That would be acceptable then?

There are a few people who post in this thread that watch Euro stuff and I wasn't the only one that thought the whole Eurosnob schtick was going over the top. Bitching is fine with me, sweeping generalizations not so much.

Noooooooo YEDLIN!!!!!!!!! I knew he was going to go but still stings love watching him play. Oh well bring home the Cup this year and I'll be ok haha.

So it would be cool if we had a few people pop in and remind us how crap they think MLS is and then have a couple page long back and forth between them bringing up all the things they think are wrong with the league? That would be acceptable then?

There are a few people who post in this thread that watch Euro stuff and I wasn't the only one that thought the whole Eurosnob schtick was going over the top. Bitching is fine with me, sweeping generalizations not so much.

If that's their prerogative. This thread has no clear direction it's just about soccer........so yes I think as long as it's about soccer then have at it.

Nope. Spurs are crap though. Hopefully he gets regular game time over there.

I've read where they are looking to dump a lot of the roster so he could get significant playing time. But I could be wrong.

Okay, enough Eurosnob talk (but for the record, nobody was being pointed out as such. I was actually showing how the Euro fans in here AREN'T acting like snobs.)

Let's talk about something more constructive.... like pro/rel.

*runs away screaming*

Noooooooo YEDLIN!!!!!!!!! I knew he was going to go but still stings love watching him play. Oh well bring home the Cup this year and I'll be ok haha.

There goes his career....
Well, I guess some USMNT fans are going to get their wish... more Yanks who "need to go over seas to improve their game" that end up bench jockies.

If an MLS All-Star can't even get on the field for the EPL's sixth-best team, then I think Eurosnob can be redefined as "someone who likes things that are much higher in quality than the things I like." I hope Yedlin does well; he's riveting to watch and potentially a big part of three more World Cup teams.

Well, I guess some USMNT fans are going to get their wish... more Yanks who "need to go over seas to improve their game" that end up bench jockies.

There is something to be said for playing in a high quality league like the EPL. You can gain loads of experience and skill playing with and against the players that play there. None of that matters though if you ride the pine most of the time and only get brought on for low level cup games against weak opposition. If that's the case he would be better off staying in the MLS but I can't imagine him turning down a move to the EPL.

I've read where they are looking to dump a lot of the roster so he could get significant playing time. But I could be wrong.

Hopefully that's the case. As an Arsenal fan I have a pretty low opinion of Spurs but if they can give him regular game time and make him a better player then I'll be happy, if they bench him and ruin his career then I can just hate them more...

I know he isn't joining spurs until after Christmas, but certainly he isn't going to displace Kyle Walker.
I'm guessing they've bought him as a RB for the future. Can't be all that bad for his career. He'll be training with some good players and learning in a good system. Probably get game time in the cup matches in 2015-2016 & a handful of league games.

I'm a little surprised MLS let him go at that price.

Hey, woah...

Let's not bash the good guys.
Now, Frank 2. Let's just say I liked Frank 1 better.

Hey, I'm a fire fan and that loss to Seattle was embarrassing.

At this point they should just blow the team up and start over.

Hey, I'm a fire fan and that loss to Seattle was embarrassing.

At this point they should just blow the team up and start over.

Take a page out of the Cubs' book, eh?
I don't know, I've seen glimmers of talent here and there, just not really working cohesively.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408157808.288985.jpg

Expecting a win tomorrow, but we'll see.

The fire and in contrast the MN united make the case quite clear for promotion/relegation. Same as in other pro sports in the US the poor teams continue to stagnate and do nothing to benefit the league

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Can we quit the fantasy league now. This is the best I will every be especially with three more matches left and I only have 2 more players to play.

Sent from tropical Finland

I live in England and I support a league one team basicly English third division because that's where I'm born and bred so can understand what you guys mean with people supporting euro teams but not there home towns personally id love to go see an mls match and you've got two awesome players comming to your league soon with frank lampard and David villa

Ugh... uuuuuuuggggghhhh.

So, cool tribute to Landon Donovan at Crew Stadium last night. They even gave him a piece of the net from the last Dos a Cero match.

But then Columbus proceeded to wreck LA up and down the field. Worst performance I've seen from the G's all season. And they were looking soooo good the last couple months.

I live in England and I support a league one team basicly English third division because that's where I'm born and bred so can understand what you guys mean with people supporting euro teams but not there home towns personally id love to go see an mls match and you've got two awesome players comming to your league soon with frank lampard and David villa

Bristol? We need you over here for talk like a pirate day. They just can't get the accent right over here!. ;)

Speaking of Tim Howard, he is taking a 1 year hiatus from US Soccer. Thankfully he's not retiring yet. Hopefully he'll be around for the next World Cup.

Speaking of Tim Howard, he is taking a 1 year hiatus from US Soccer. Thankfully he's not retiring yet. Hopefully he'll be around for the next World Cup.

I'm not going to panic.... I'm not going to panic. He's probably just bogged down and wants to focus on the club side. There are capable backups.Brad Guzan is just as good but Timmy get's the start because he is only that hair-widths better. I'mtotallynotworriedthathewilldecidedtoretireafterthatyear. DO I LOOK LIKE I'M PANICKING?!

panic-face.jpg

I'm not going to panic.... I'm not going to panic. He's probably just bogged down and wants to focus on the club side. There are capable backups.Brad Guzan is just as good but Timmy get's the start because he is only that hair-widths better. I'mtotallynotworriedthathewilldecidedtoretireafterthatyear. DO I LOOK LIKE I'M PANICKING?!

The bummer is Timmy won't be around for the GOld Cup. Basically he's taking th etime off to spend time with his family. He's been doing this game for a long time so I can dig wanting to take a little bit of a break. I actually take this as potentially a good sign. As he isn't just outright retiring meaning he will stick around as long as he's competitive for 2018.

Guzan should be more than fine as a filler. WIll also be nice to get a look at how Hamid and Johnson handle international competition as they're likely 2018 candidates as well. And maybe even a look at Cody Cropper who made the Ukraine friendly roster. I like Cropper a lot from the bit I've seen of him on the Southampton U-21 team last year. Would probably be a stretch for him in 2018, but I think 2022 he may be the guy. Hamid still doesn't amaze me, Johnson I think is our best bet for the future. But Guzan is still really good right now. He's just no Howard.

I think it should be stressed that Timmy was given the blessing to do this by Klinsmann. This isn't like Landon's sabbatical. Given Klinsmann's eye to the future I expect him to use a lot of keepers and in a way he probably considers this a blessing as now Guzan gets to be tested under the fire of the Gold Cup.

I think it should be stressed that Timmy was given the blessing to do this by Klinsmann. This isn't like Landon's sabbatical. Given Klinsmann's eye to the future I expect him to use a lot of keepers and in a way he probably considers this a blessing as now Guzan gets to be tested under the fire of the Gold Cup.

Plus I'd like to see more from Rimando (yes he's older but still could have a few more years with the Yanks) as well as continue to work the younger ones like Johnson and Hamid. Both are just loaded with pure talent.

Back