Electronic Ignition for High Pressure Propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipepper

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting the designing by Brutus style rig. I've been trying to get a clear answer from all the posts regarding pilot systems, electronic ignition and then how they relate to high and low pressure propane. Needless to say I'm a little confused and hopefully someone can quickly set me straight.

I want to use high pressure propane with the BG14 burners. I have ASCO 8215G20 valves for the main gas.

Questions:
1. Pilot Lights on High Pressure. If I were to go with a straight pilot system with no flame out protection, do I need a regulator to the pilots if they are fed right from the high pressure propane?

2. Electronic ignition - If I go this route and use a Honeywell S8610U (or similar) with a Q345A1313 pilot burner/sensor will I need another solenoid valve for the pilot? Can this be high pressure? low pressure? Any picts or schematics with high pressure, asco and electronic ignition would be great.

2b. Am I going to run into any problems with the S8610U controlling my ASCO valve through another relay or transformer to energize the 120v coil of my ASCO valve??

Those are the immediate pressing questions. Thanks a ton!

Ryan

Question 1: No a regulator is not needed, just a needle valve to adjust flow to pilot.
Question 2: You will need a solenoid for the pilot gas feed along with a solenoid for main fuel.

Question 2b: You will need a 24VAC relay to control the 115VAC to the Asco solenoid valves.
A general question for you, why not go with the same burners set up for low pressure and standing pilot furnace valves. This would be a simpler build and you only need to light pilots at start of brew session. The cost of the furnace valve and pilot burner with thermocouple sensor is about the same as one Asco valve. If you want to go electric ignition I would still reccomend the low pressure route as again a furnace valve with both pilot and main fuel valves would be cheaper and easier to build with than dual solenoids. There are cheaper solenoid valves than the Asco's that work just as well, and if going the high pressure route a 1/4" solenoid is more than large enough as gas density at 10 PSI is much greater than 1/2 PSI and flow rate is much lower.

Question 1: No a regulator is not needed, just a needle valve to adjust flow to pilot.
Question 2: You will need a solenoid for the pilot gas feed along with a solenoid for main fuel.

Question 2b: You will need a 24VAC relay to control the 115VAC to the Asco solenoid valves.
A general question for you, why not go with the same burners set up for low pressure and standing pilot furnace valves. This would be a simpler build and you only need to light pilots at start of brew session. The cost of the furnace valve and pilot burner with thermocouple sensor is about the same as one Asco valve. If you want to go electric ignition I would still reccomend the low pressure route as again a furnace valve with both pilot and main fuel valves would be cheaper and easier to build with than dual solenoids. There are cheaper solenoid valves than the Asco's that work just as well, and if going the high pressure route a 1/4" solenoid is more than large enough as gas density at 10 PSI is much greater than 1/2 PSI and flow rate is much lower.
Kladue I know this an old post but I'm trying figure this out as well. If I have the honey well setup do I need an ASCO if I stay low pressure? Stay low pressure is this just a different regulator under 10 psi? I really wanted to basically copy sawdustguys config. I see in his he has a saco and honeywell:

index.php

If you go the low pressure route a honeywell gas valve would be cheaper than Asco solenoid valves. The Honeywell S8610 can fire either 24Vac solenoid valves or the furnace valve which has both combined. With the 10" burners from AG supply, 120/24Vac transformer,VR8204 gas valve and pilot from PEX supply you should be on your way. A Marshall 290 low pressure 2 stage regulator would handle the typical brew stand as only one burner is at high fire rate at any time, you do not need to size for all 3 at same time.

Back