Keezer Temp Control Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdubbaya

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of building a keezer for my 3 Corny's + 20lbs CO2 tank to put under my bar in the basement. The plan is to either mount a tower on the bar, or if all else fails, add some faucets and a collar to the freezer and set it next to the bar.

I'm up for advice on any part of the build or installation, but my real question is about the temperature controller I see people using all over the forums. Is this a requirement, or is it just nice to have the temperature control? I don't have much experience with electrical projects, so I'm hoping I can build a nice keezer without one.

Don't most freezers have dials for controlling inside temps? Maybe I'm missing something? Do freezers have trouble with consistent temperature?

Thanks!

Yes it's a requirement if you're converting a freezer. You'll need the temp controller to keep from freezing your beer 'cause even at the highest setting it'll still freeze.

And installing a fan inside to circulate the air will help with uniform temps. Digital controllers like the A419 from Johnson Controls (other makers are good too) you can set to switch on with a swing of +/- 1 degree (or whatever you decide upon).

Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't know that a freezer wouldn't go above freezing temps.

I may have to do some research on how to wire those things. I've read a few helpful threads on it today though.

You don't really need to know about electricity to wire the thermostat. Just ask for help. I bought the Rancor digital and I could send a pictures of the wiring. All I did was get a 25' 14Gauge Extension cord and cut the ends off with the wire lengths that I needed. Plug into wall and plug freezer into Ranco.

Ther are a couple of ways to regulate the temp...I use an external temp controler the just plugs in to the wall and you plug the keezer into it. the find a nice place to put a small hole for the temp probe and there you go.....this is what i have to do just to keep my batches at a constant temp during the summer months 100 degres avg in my garage during the summer months!

Back