One Element for Multiple Kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennie

Reaction score
I have a NB 10gal kettle, a keggle and a Bayou Classic 20gal. I want to go electric and so far I've purchased a couple Camco 5500W wavy elements and a couple cheap Chinese SCR controllers. My thought is to get an element guard with a triclover fitting so I can remove the element and use it in any of the kettles. Is there a problem with this approach? Other than the element possibly not fitting in the 10gal kettle?

You'll need to measure all three vessels to know the longest element you can interchange. If they are all at least 16", you can use our Hot Rod heat stick with one element and not have to install triclover ferrules into all three vessels.

I think you are better off with Bobby M's hotrod... The other method you are suggesting sounds absolutely like a pain.

I couldnt imagine having to take my Element out of my HLT (Drain it) then put it in my BK for a boil... As I sparge, my HLT element switches on and off to keep my mash out temperature consistent in the HERMS coil.

Thanks I'll check that out. I do a lot of no-sparge in a cooler MLT so I usually just use the kettle for heating water. Even if I do a batch sparge I'll just heat the sparge water and pour it in a bucket while I run off the mash. So the switch won't happen during a batch, just when I decide on a 5, 10 or 15gal batch.

I totally recommend the Hot Rod. It has worked like a charm for me. I do BIAB on the stove (2.5 gallon batches). I use it and the stove to get to strike temp then use it to maintain a boil. I was really limited with what I could do on the stove but this thing allowed by to brew easier and faster. :mug:

IMG_9933.jpg

Hot rod looks interesting. I already have a 110V 1500W immersion heater stick with variable control. I'm trying to decide if I trust putting the electrical components into the pot and rely on the orings to stay sealed. It certainly is the simplest method for my desire to be able to use one element in several kettles.

I'm warming to the idea of a Hot Rod . I see it is 16", I assume that is with a 14" Camco 5500 wavy element? I assume this would work in a keggle and certainly in my 20gal Bayou, but my 10gal kettle is just 14" diameter so it would sit in there at an angle. I could get the 5500 straight element that is 12.5" but it'd still be a little long if the Hot Rod adds 2". Think there would be any problem with it sitting in there crooked?

The other question relates to the wire. Where does one find a temperature rating on wire? The Hot Rod description says you have to use wiring rated for 100C in a brew kettle. Makes sense but the 10/3 wire I bought doesn't have a rating on it. It is NM-B.

After a little searching I see the 10/3 wire NM-B is only rated for 90C, that means I need something different for the Hot Rod if I go that route.

10-4, I'll use this to run from the breaker box to the spa panel, then find the appropriate cable for cords.

Back