I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should be working, but the garden had peppers that needed picked, and tomatoes, and onions, and cilantro....so now the "pilot brewery" is also a water bath cannery.

20140608_152007.jpg

I made the mistake of sleeping a few hours on the way back. Flight left at midnight Taiwan time, and landed the same day at 9 PM California time. If I'd stayed awake and powered through I'd be fine. Just crash hard when I arrive. But instead I found myself unable to sleep once I landed.

I'm going to be going to Asia a lot more often now, so I need to figure out my routine to handle it...

I always found I needed to build in a free day on the back end. Getting home before or about the same time you left after a ~13 hour flight never made work very fun the next day.

Are these our yeasty friends or do I need to learn to focus a microscope? (Cell phone pic through one lens of binocular scope). Yeast in glycerol solution.

Very cool! :mug:

In all my trips to Hong Kong, the jet lag was always worse coming back. I'd stay up nearly 24 hours straight before the flight there and would sleep most of the way over (the way they coddle you on Cathay Pacific certainly helped). Coming back always sucked for a few days.

But, I've no real excuse for being awake right now. Think I'll have another beer and call it a night.

I have read that food works better than sleep when it comes to defeating jet lag. Supposedly if you do a fast before travelling for about 10 hours then eat a meal at the time that you would be waking up at your destination it helps reset your internal clock better than the whole napping thing. Hydration (water, not beer. Sorry) is said to help as well.

Hey everybody,

Sounds like interesting days around here. First off, Ischiavo I'm glad you're ok, and secondly I have a new respect for both you and Stauffbier!

I've been putting off laying down a floating floor in one of the bedrooms here. It's pretty simple work really but I just kept procrastinating. Yesterday afternoon after much griping from my wife and to keep peace I installed the flooring. Just a small bedroom, no fancy cuts aside from the closet's. Took me around 6-7 hours from removing the furniture, cutting and laying the floor, clean-up and furniture back in. Man was I beat! My lower back hurt from bending over, my body, eyes, nose, and throat were itchy from the fine wood(?) dust. Stauff, or Ischiavo, probably would have single handedly completed the job before their first morning coffee break.. not me. Took the better part of the afternoon and early evening and I"m actually bragging about that. haha

My sympathy to those of you who have to fly long hours and cross multiple time zones. I've flown way to much over the years and have come to despise stepping onto a plane. My best advice is get an aisle seat, drink water only, eat, try to sleep when they turn out the lights, when restless spend a lot of time in the galley talking to the flight attendants. :mug:

I got my baby back. I learned to play guitar on this old thing. Sold it 20 years ago and have been sick over it for 20 years. I was given an opportunity to buy it back and I did. Just got it back today from the guitar doctor where it received it's 4th refret job. This is a 1975 Les Paul Deluxe. The rear cavity was already routed out for a humbucker when I bought is back when I was 16 years old. The pickup that was in the bridge position was replaced for a Raw Vintage model 5760 as part of the work I had done to it. The neck is perfect and as fast as lightning on a gold plated rooftop. This is the guitar I used when I first started earning money as a musician. I sold it to a good friend when I was 21 who promised me he would offer to sell it back to me first if he ever decided to part with it. I never thought the day would ever come. But it did. And here it is.

I'm giddy as a kid in a candy shop. Just look at it!

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

There's nothing like a good instrument. I'm surprised you parted with it to begin with. Must have had a good reason. If I had the slightest idea what to do with that thing, I might be jealous.

It is said clichés should be avoided in writing. I hope writing on a forum doesn't count.

There's nothing certain except death and taxes. If talking clichés, that old one should be: There's nothing certain except death, taxes, and insurance payments.

Sure you can skip out on taxes but will eventually pay the price, you can skip out on insurance and if all goes well and life is good you never need it.. But who wouldn't take out "insurance" to ensure life's potential disasters do not overwhelm us financially. I'm not sure if insurance qualifies as a catch 22 or not, but sure seems close to it.

I just got off the phone with my auto and home insurance company. Man, what a lot of money spent each month and over a lifetime astronomical. But I'm not going to stop paying. I have used the auto policy once and home owner's once... neither of the amounts the insurance company paid add up to a (EDIT) 1/6th strike out tenth of what I've paid them over the years. But who the heck is going to chance not having coverage? So, like death and taxes, insurance seems to fall into the same category. I'm only giving one of these :mug: to keep from giving one of :mad:

I really didn't mind too much when it seemed to be reasonable, but since Ivan and Katrina they have instituted a new coverage in Alabama. Wind coverage. It is mandatory in certain areas if you want to finance your home and is prohibitively expensive. To make it affordable I have to have a 5% of the replacement cost of my home for a deductible. On my home that is over 13K. 13 freaking thousand dollar deductible. If I had to
replace my roof because of wind damage, my deductible would be enough to pay for it. I wouldn't even bother to file a claim.
My house would have to suffer very very substantial damage to make it past my deductible.

Wind coverage in Alabama is a license to steal.

Bastards

I always dread the fall. My vehicle insurance is in Sept., my homeowners in Oct. (that one hurts), and my property taxes in Nov. Throw in Christmas and I might as well forget about having money for a while. Oh well, who needs money when you've got plenty of grain and hops :)

Oh yeah, I forgot all about what I was going to say. I had to defrost my beer frige. I thought my beer was getting a tad warmer than it usually is and wasn't carbonating as well either. So I checked the little duct where cold air comes in from the freezer side (side by side frige) and it was full of ice. Opened the freezer and holy buckets. There was a mountain of ice in there. No air has been making it's way through there for quite some time. I'm not even sure how the frige side stayed as cold as it did. I'm glad I discovered it when I did because the ice was just about to consume the circulation fan. I chiseled 3 buckets worth of ice out of there and then had to thaw the hard to reach places with a little electric heater. I'll be checking that periodically from now on.

My stout is mellowing out ok. Still has a bit of that weird flavor, but after the first few sips it kind of disappears. Looking forward to an all cascade pale ale with orange zest that I'll be brewing in about a week. I planned this brew up last summer but never got around to it.

Cheers to you all! You know me , and have probably figured out I truly enjoy sharing stuff about me here. it"s generally mundane and boring so thanks for putting up with my rambles.

My cable TV channel guide plays mostly Hawaiian type music and what might be known as elevator music. I plugged some Bose bookshelf speakers into the back of the kitchen TV because my wife and I spend a lot of time there.

The music on that channel sometimes reminds me of the radio music my parents listened to when I was a teenager - "W Sweet, W Velvet" or something like that.

That channel could take the Beatles Revolution #9 and turn it into easy listening! I made fun of it back then, but now I'm actually older than my parents were when I was a teen and guess what? I like this elevator music. Not always. I'm still a rocker at heart.

The Hawaii music is pretty nice. I have no clue what they are saying half the time because it's in Hawaiian, but it sure is pretty. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for my move to New Orleans and I'm using my time to build myself a fermentation chamber...

AS my first batch of AG (BIAB) will be in NOLA and I will no longer have a natural gas stove... I'm thinking of ordering a burner and large pot... Does this combo seem fit?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BXHL3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - this pot
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - this burner

Thoughts?

Sounds like you're using your time wisely. Time management! :mug:

Cheers to you all! You know me , and have probably figured out I truly enjoy sharing stuff about me here. it"s generally mundane and boring so thanks for putting up with my rambles.

My cable TV channel guide plays mostly Hawaiian type music and what might be known as elevator music. I plugged some Bose bookshelf speakers into the back of the kitchen TV because my wife and I spend a lot of time there.

The music on that channel sometimes reminds me of the radio music my parents listened to when I was a teenager - "W Sweet, W Velvet" or something like that.

That channel could take the Beatles Revolution #9 and turn it into easy listening! I made fun of it back then, but now I'm actually older than my parents were when I was a teen and guess what? I like this elevator music. Not always. I'm still a rocker at heart.

The Hawaii music is pretty nice. I have no clue what they are saying half the time because it's in Hawaiian, but it sure is pretty. :)

Hawaiian elevator music. ..this makes me sad.

Nicky Romero - Toulouse: http://youtu.be/KrVC5dm5fFc

10 hr day, 18 holes of "golf", and built the frame for my chamber... it's a good day in the books.

Good night HBT.

Sounds pretty good bb!

I was ever much into golf except at one point of my career. A work thing. Short lived. Fun as it was , I was in it for the beers and cigars. ;)

Seems my wife is working late tonight. I'm now a house husband. Don't know exactly when she'll be home with traffic and all. She'll give me a call when she heads home which gives me 45-70 minutes. Cleaning day today do clearing out the freezer for dinner.

We're going to have a small fillet of salmon. I think I'll just sauté it in some butter and garlic, maybe some chopped green onions on top and a few squeezes of fresh lemon juice. Chopped green onions on top. There was some almost gone bok choi and

Been sprouts in the fridge. Probably steam the bok Choi, probably add garlic and the sprouts I'll sauté in butter and garlic. Also have some frozen edame, also known as soybeans in a pod. Steam and see salt for them. The rice pot has last nights rice in it. I'm going to put it in a bowl and hit it with the microwave. I'd make fresh rice but we're all out! I don't know how that happened. Lastly from the freezer there is some nice chicken breast strips. Again going to pop them in the microwave.

I like garlic, I like butter (always) and I love frozen food and a microwave in a pinch

Glad to see you calling it bok choi, Dan! Lately I see it call pak choi.

(Then again, maybe it's too different things)

Regardless, it is good!!

Hey AZ,

Potatoe potato. Or something like that :)

There's another vegetable that as far as I know is tough to find in mainland. I talked to a grocer and he said it was considered an aggressive weed. I've always called it on-choi, the other day I was at an Asian market here in Hawaii and they called I ong-choi. I'm really not which if either spelling is correct.

Regardless, it's awesome and one hell of a bowl cleanser! Haha

Edit on my last post. AZ and I had the same conclusion which I didn't catch on the first read. -"regardless it's good!" :)

Yikes Ischiavo. I once got knocked off a latter and had a ceiling fan fall onto my 3 yo son while installing a fan. I wrongly thought id turned off all the power. Now I only play with 12v dc power in my camper van and even that scares me.

You just have to climb back on the horse with a little more respect and maybe a voltmeter;)

I got my baby back. I learned to play guitar on this old thing. Sold it 20 years ago and have been sick over it for 20 years. I was given an opportunity to buy it back and I did. Just got it back today from the guitar doctor where it received it's 4th refret job. This is a 1975 Les Paul Deluxe. The rear cavity was already routed out for a humbucker when I bought is back when I was 16 years old. The pickup that was in the bridge position was replaced for a Raw Vintage model 5760 as part of the work I had done to it. The neck is perfect and as fast as lightning on a gold plated rooftop. This is the guitar I used when I first started earning money as a musician. I sold it to a good friend when I was 21 who promised me he would offer to sell it back to me first if he ever decided to part with it. I never thought the day would ever come. But it did. And here it is.

I'm giddy as a kid in a candy shop. Just look at it!

Sweet guitar. My first was a '78 Gibson SG double neck. Think Jimmy Page. My grandmother gave it to me. She bought it for a deadbeat twelfth cousin of mine who was going to be a rock star. It is stamped "second" but the only flaw I ever noticed seems to be a filled hole near the bridge. It plays like a dream but it is a heavy beast. I'll post a pic sometime.

10 hr day, 18 holes of "golf", and built the frame for my chamber... it's a good day in the books.
Good night HBT.

10 hours "work" = tired, 18 holes of "golf" = drunk. I hope that frame still meets standards tomorrow;)

Me and the bro roughed in the underground for that gas station for the last two days. Back to the grocery store wiring for the next two days then closing on wifeys new photo studio on Friday. Its really just a 70's ranch house that needs a bit of work, commercial zoned and has excellent exposure. She is so excited. I am very happy for her. She has definitely earned this. I have a lot of extra work coming up though;)

I'm waiting for my move to New Orleans and I'm using my time to build myself a fermentation chamber...

AS my first batch of AG (BIAB) will be in NOLA and I will no longer have a natural gas stove... I'm thinking of ordering a burner and large pot... Does this combo seem fit?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BXHL3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - this pot
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - this burner

Thoughts?

I bought this pot from amazon quite a while ago. It is a great deal for the money and has served me well

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

edit: I don't BIAB

4137YLp%2B0xL._SX425_.jpg

I use a propane jet burner with it. I have also used electric heat sticks. It is a pretty heavy duty aluminum pot and has been great for me, but you may be better off with the strainer if you BIAB. If you want to do real all-grain, however, this is a pretty good pot.

Disclaimer: I was just joking about the real all-grain. Lighten up BIABers.

Yea. Biab is a good half step for me. I don't have a garage for a little bit so I feel like it's enough improvement.

Do you have a false bottom?

No, no false bottom. I mash in an Igloo cooler and have a false bottom in it, but I boil in the aluminum pot. I built a couple of 110 heatsticks to save on propane and it works well. I have a couple of keggles but use the 40 qt pot most often because I know it best. Eventually I want to go 220v electric with the keggles.

As if I don't have enough things to worry about, apparently now my carboy is trying to kill me. :rolleyes:

So on that note I give you..........Broken Glass

Wow! I'm pretty thick. I thought I was using the latest mobile version of HBT but just stumbled onto the cross between the traditional view and the basic mobile app I've been using. The in between seems to be the best of both for a phone. Cheers TX and crew!

Back