New Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesssman

Reaction score
I have decided to replace the burners on my brew bench and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for ones you find work really well. I only need burners as I will build their housings. I have been looking at the banjo burners. I brew ten gallon batches using converted kegs. So give me some advice and suggestions...

Thanks,

Gary

Here's what I use (see link below)....I love em. These are for natural gas, but they make them for use with propane too. The propane burners have a different sized orifice in the jet nozzles. The natural gas versions burn at roughly 150,000 btu/hr at full throttle. I use a ball valve to regulate the flame on mine. Works like a charm. I will also add that this one is the biggest one they make. There are also small and medium versions available. I brew 30 gallon batches now and really need the big one, but I used to use this same burner for my 5 gallon batches.

Here's the link: http://www.cpapc.com/store/32-Tip-Round-Nozzle-Jet-Burner-P470C0.aspx

I just finished my new cart and used 2 banjo burners and a smaller one under the mash tun. One thing to note, The banjos are INSANELY HOT! I had to redesign a few things and add some heat plates and a fan blowing accross the plates to dissapate the heat so it wouldnt cook my thermometers. ( you couldnt even come close to touching them) I was SO SO SO glad I went with a smaller burner under the mash tun.

After sorting the problems with the heat out, I love them though. I almost went with the formentioned jet burners, but ultimately decided against them because they lack the adjustability of the banjos.

I am leaning toward the banjo burners. I have one of those high pressure turkey fryer type burner and a jet burner. The jet burner was a disaster from the start. The casting was bad and it leaked all over. I reworked it and it works ok, but I just do not like it. Perhaps if the one I have was not such a disaster I would have a different thought about them. Can you tell me more about what you did mounting your burners to control heat?

Gary

well I dont know of you are using kettles or keggles, but if thery are keggles you will need to cut vents in the back to allow more heat out the back. The best solution I found on accident. I have mounted on my keggles a ball valve , thermometer, and a sight glass all on the same level on the bottom. I cracked one of my thermometers before I found the following.

I mounted heat shields to the frame in the front That protruded about 2 1/2" beyond the frame and as wide as my keggles. This forced most of the heat around my Thermo, ball valve, and sight glass. BUT just the heat radiating from the "heat diversion plates" ( my infared thermo read 600 degrees) caused the thermos, etc to be way to hot still. Meanwhile paint was burning off of the frame so I grabbed a nearby fan to blow the toxic fumes out of the garage. Next thing I know my thermometers were cool to the touch. " WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT" moment...The heat shieds took the brunt of the actual flame heat and the fan disrupted that heat before It had a chance to radiate up to the equipment. Better lucky than good I suppose. I had those babies cranked up for the better part of 3 hours last night on a 11 gallon batch and everything was cool to the touch that should be. Meanwhile the keg skirts were glowing :D

I had a couple little leaking problems myself to fix from casting defects (JB Weld took care of that).......but for the price, the heat I'm throwing and the fact that I can tap right into my natural gas line.....I wouldn't do it any other way. (except maybe electric) I use a burner for the BK and the HLT, but not the mash tun. I just insulated it and lose only about 1 degree F per hour. It's not the prettiest mash tun in the world, but she does the job.

I use heat sheilds to block the heat from things that need protected. I have heat shields on the burner stands themselves to contain most of the heat and channel it upward towards my kettles and I have some others cut up for added protection side to side and for the ball valves/thermometers.

As for lighting the burners....I use a grill lighter. Just light the grill lighter first and then crack the ball valve a little......wave the lighter around until you get the majority of the nozzles lit and then flame on.

Picture 031.jpg

Back