Digital Handheld Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody used one of these pricey gizmos?

I have a regular refractometer, and although it works, I find it to be hard to read. The measurement line is a bit fuzzy, and I sometimes can't tell the difference between 14 and 14.5 brix. Usually, I just break out the hydrometer.

They can cost over $200, but More Beer has one for $195 and eBay for $120. There are people here who've spent $5k for a BrewMagic. Surely somebody has tried one. For $120, I'm (kind of) tempted. Christmas is coming, you know.

Has anybody used one of these pricey gizmos?

I have a regular refractometer, and although it works, I find it to be hard to read. The measurement line is a bit fuzzy, and I sometimes can't tell the difference between 14 and 14.5 brix. Usually, I just break out the hydrometer.

They can cost over $200, but More Beer has one for $195 and eBay for $120. There are people here who've spent $5k for a BrewMagic. Surely somebody has tried one. For $120, I'm (kind of) tempted. Christmas is coming, you know.

Did you turn the rubber handle to "focus" it? I think they all do this.

My $30 optical one works great. I think the precision of a digital unit is probably overkill for homebrewing.

Back