Backup over-kill!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Needed a replacement backup drive for my system, so I ordered a re-furb. $49 for 750GB. Here's why it's funny:

I've got a 15GB boot drive that has 24MB in use (plus swap) and a 154GB data drive with 13.4GB on it. So, my backups take 1.8% of the new drive. My satellite DSL has severe download limits on it, so I don't have much besides the OS and the development environment for my company's website.

We do 3D animation and video... The project I am working on now has more working files than you have drive space (total) to store.

Sorry, temporary geek-out!

what 24meg in use, that's not possible. I have 3 Terabytes on my NAS and just about to order a few more. However 1 TB is an image of the other.

Learned many decades ago that I am, at best, a shutterbug. Got lots of worthless 35 mm gear in the closet.

24 MB not kidding. That's the linux kernel and core programs.

Not really interested in 99.9% of current movies. Last one I saw was the first Potter film. The books are better. No place to rent them anyway.

I don't think you'll get a response out of david_42 on that one. I, however, have gigs of it. :rockin: :D

I will hard drive's faster that I can buy them! I am looking into setting up a 2 or 3 TB NAS set up in RAID0. Between photography, movies, and TV shows I just eat through space. I will easily burn through 2-3 GB of pictures in a day. And that is just the size right out of the camera. After I am done editing and all the various copies I have it will be pushing 4-6 gigs.

Let's see, download a movie at 83K with a 150MB daily limit? How many days will that take?

The answer is left as an exercise for the student.

Extra credit: How do you prevent the system from exceeding the daily limit?

Extra, extra credit: When the daily limit is exceeded, download rate drops to 2KB for 24 hours. How stupid is this?

Dude, you're getting raped! I hope you aren't payin more than 10 cents a month for that.

I don't know if it is still around, but there is something called "two wire". It works over the phone lines, with relative high speed. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could elaborate.

I'm on satellite. I've been in the IT business for 35 years, with experience in cable systems as well. I've looked at all the options and there aren't any. I'm way too far from the POP to do anything over the phone lines and sitting in a valley, there ain't no wifi. I know it's tough for many of you to conceive, but there are dead-zones.

I could get cable installed for about $18,000. The free install is only good to 150 feet. I'm 4500 feet from the street.

No cell service to your house?

I hate that. I signed up for cell service once and it worked perfectly everywhere... except my home and where I work. What good is that?!?

have you thought about wireless? wait dont answer that. you said the first 150 free. how about this. you get the cableco to drop off the internet as the curb. you would need a little tower or some way of getting an antenna up a couple feet if straight line shot to the house. higher if you have any type of rise between.

now heres the fun part. get a linksys router. get a small solar cell of appropriate wattage. will cost a couple hundred bux but its pretty simple and very possible. BTW what sat provider you using? I know wildblue should be a ton cheaper then that

You should look into WildBlue Satellite Internet. Way faster than that and although it also has bandwith limits they are better than what you have now. I'm an installer BTW. If interested LMK, I'll talk about WB all you want.

And where did you get a 750 GIG drive for 49.00? I could use one.

Latest posts

Back