Announcing the release of 'Mash Made Easy' version 10.1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
'Mash Made Easy' version 10.1 is now available for free download on my website (listed below) in both the USA and Metric formats. Radical changes have been made as follows:

Change 'A') MME Version 10.1 greatly simplifies drop-down grist component selection via eliminating all of the various Malted and Unmalted Barley Grain categories and simply lumping all of these together under a single drop-down called "Non Categorized". Caramel/Crystal malts and Carapills malts are now combined and categorized as "Crystal/Carapills" under a single drop-down. Drop-down categories still exist for grist components such as Wheat and Rye, the various of Flaked grains, Acid Malt, Melanoidin/Honey, and MaltoDextrin/Sugar.

Conflated under the simple and single umbrella of "Non Categorized" are the following barley categories: All of the various of barley "base" malts, bisciut malt, aromatic malt, Munich malt, Brown/Mid-roast malt, Deep Roast Malt, and Deep Roast Unmalted Barley.

Conflated also are the formerly separate Caramel/Crystal and Carapills, under the umbrella of Crystal/Carapills.

The justification for these two radical changes and simplifications (in keeping with the name "Mash Made Easy") are twofold. First, I have honed and refined a set of algorithms worthy of computing the pHDI and BC (buffering capacity, malt acidity) values for all non Crystal, yet exclusively Barley based grains (malted and unmalted) into a single category, and likewise I have refined a set of algorithms worthy of computing Caramel/Crystal and Carapils malts pHDI's and BC's. Second, the scant real pHDI and BC data extant today (from sources that you can count on the fingers of one hand) is simply terrible and incomplete and abysmal, as well as not fully unified or correlating between testers, so those touting and exhibiting drop-downs for up to hundreds of various malt and/or unmalted grain valuations for critical pHDI and BC values are for vastly the most part either pulling these values straight out of thin air, or they are cherry picking and cross-applying the scant data to malts/grains never once tested while applying loads of confirmation bias and yet more cherry picking and averaging and guessing, etc... in an effort to baffle and impress the unaware end user. So I figured: why not go your own way, blaze your own trail, and revamp and refine math model means to simplify all of this, at the same time as the other mash pH assistant software developers are making the grist component entry task ever more complicated and time consuming and confusing, and at the same time ever the more deviating from real and honest underlying data (I.E., deviating from such real BC and pHDI data as can only come from test mashing and titrating, whereby no one is actually undertaking this level of actual effort, but they are not telling you that. Plus they are at the same time hoping that the end user believes they have actually tested their underlying data).

Change 'B') MME version 10.1 now defaults the Kolbach denominators for mash water Ca and Mg ions to 7 and 14 respectively (vs. 3.5 and 7) whereby to attain better agreement with the findings of AJ deLange, and also somewhat better compliance with the more recent and quite variable findings of chemists Barth and Zaman as regards downward shift within the mash due to calcium and magnesium ions in the mash water.

Change 'C': Minor appearance related bug fixes to the Metric version.

Last edited:
For those skeptical as to the validity of this radical approach I've undertaken whereby to simplify MME for the end user, I offer these two spreadsheet links where you can download them and try out the very math models which I merged into MME yourself and see how well they both smooth out and fit the scant and scattered real world data for titration determined BC's, as well as for pHDI's.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/buffering-coefficient-via-malt-color.689702/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/phdi-via-malt-color.689693/

IMPORTANT NOTE: With due apology, I discovered some bugs in my first uploads of MME_10.1, so if you have already downloaded it, please download it again. The corrected version will have the word "Version" within the filename.

If you are adventurous, and you want to make your own spreadsheet or online mash pH adjustment assistant software, I have detailed all of the essential core workings of the method used within MME version 10.1 over on HBT's sister forum at Brewer's Friend. As you progress through the entire BF thread you will pick up the complete core essence of MME's mash pH adjustment logic and math. Here is the link:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...napkin-math-behind-mash-ph-adjustments.14586/

Back