Coffee stout question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
Hi I have looked on the recipe database for the answer but can't seem to find it.
What is the ideal amount of coffee to use and what coffee?

There are a TON of threads on this subject, many of which are linked below.

With that being said, its a complex topic that really depends on personal opinion.

There are a few ways to add coffee to a brew

Flameout
Secondary steep
Cold brewed and added to secondary
Cold brewed and added at bottling

Most people tend to use the milder roasts but I actually went the other direction and used a french roast(2.5 oz at flameout) for my RIS that is currently aging.

I guess the questions you need to ask yourself are

How assertive are the other flavors in the beer/how much do you want the coffee to come through
How long do you plan to age this beer
How much do you like coffee

The easiest way to incrementally add coffee is to cold brew and add at bottling. That way you can add a little bit and taste, and keep going until you get where you want to be. You can always add more, but you cant take it out.

Thanks for the reply. I might have to go down the add at bottling way as I have never made a coffee stout before.
I like coffee but not too strong :)

The standard is "use what you would drink."
I use 10 shots (15 ounces) of hot brewed Starbucks Espresso at the bottom of the secondary in a 5 gallon batch, for the AHS Redhook Double Black Stout clone. Double Black was a collaboration between the Seattle based Redhook and Starbucks. As SWMBO's favorite, this is the only brew that is firmly in my rotation.

I cold brew coffee to add to the secondary and it always turns out great. It doesn't add as much of the coffee bitterness to the beer.

Back