Marris Otter extract sub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
I generally do either partial mash or extract with specialty grains. My previous partial mashes used american 2Row for the base malt and I boosted it with a few pounds of light LME to hit the gravities I needed. However, what is the sub for Marris Otter? light LME or amber? I am looking to brew an Irish Red.

You could try to find an english malt extract...failing that, I'd use the light LME and use the specialty grains to give it the flavor and color of an irish red (some crystal and roasted barley maybe?). It won't be perfect, but I'm sure it will make a pretty darn good beer. You'll get enough character from the specialty grains, yeast and hops to make it quite irish red I'm sure. Hope this is helpful.

Alright, I might just up the specialty grains of the grain bill. I still will be using about half the marris otter grains anyways, it's just I can only collect and boil about 3 gallons and then I have to add the malt extract at the end and up the water to 5 gallons.

Back