To sanitize or not to sanitize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
After preparing some gelatin on the stove to put into my secondary it dawned on me that I didn't take in consideration whether or not the pot I'm heating the gelatin up in needs to be sanitized. I also never sanitize the pot when preparing my corn sugar to add to the bottling bucket either. My question is... is it necessary to sanitize the pot? Since fermentation is complete, would the alcohol in the beer aid in preventing infection? What do you all suggest?

If you are boiling the contents of any pot it is NOT necessary to sanitize the pot. That's the purpose of boiling. It does the sanitation for you.

If you are boiling the contents of any pot it is NOT necessary to sanitize the pot. That's the purpose of boiling. It does the sanitation for you.

In the case of gelatin though, I am not boiling it. I'm only heating it up to pasteurization temps. After taking it off the burner, I immediately put a lid on it. Also, the only part of the pot that would be sanitized is the part that the liquid touches correct? The other 1/3 of the pot does not come in contact with the water.

In the case of gelatin though, I am not boiling it. I'm only heating it up to pasteurization temps. After taking it off the burner, I immediately put a lid on it. Also, the only part of the pot that would be sanitized is the part that the liquid touches correct? The other 1/3 of the pot does not come in contact with the water.

It isn't the water that kills things, it's the heat. Would you touch the part of the pot that isn't in contact with the water?

It isn't the water that kills things, it's the heat. Would you touch the part of the pot that isn't in contact with the water?

Ok, just wondering. Didn't know if the entire pan would get hot enough to kill anything off. Like I said, I've been doing it this way since I started brewing and haven't had a problem. Just was curious so I thought I'd ask.

Back