Keg #2 wont flow. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatduck

Reaction score
I recently set up a 2 keg system. 5lb Co2 tank. with a 2 way regulator. The first keg was set up 8 days ago, it worked great, I had carbonation on an IPA in 3 days and it is pouring very nicely now.

3 days ago I filled keg #2 and force carbed it. Today I tried to pull a drink from it. But it does nothing. It is a picnic tap and when I push the tab I get a squirt of foam and then just a dribble of liquid. after that the line fills with foam.

The only thing I can think of is that its clogged somewhere in the keg dip tube, but I force carbed and racked very carefully with very little yeast.

Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks.

Try putting the co2 on the out side of the cornie and free the obstruction.

OK, I did this, even cranked the pressure up to 30PSI, lots of bubbling noise, then I put it all back and the keg moves a little easier but still nothing but a slow dribble and foam.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I would release pressure and see if the dip tube is clogged. Its happened to me before.

How would I check the dip tube? I would have to have to put my arm in there and fool around with crap, but I guess I'm open to suggestion.

Yes. Just spray some sanitizer on the the post and top of the keg. Remove the post. remove the tube then cover hole with some alum foil or a rag soaked with sanitizer for a minute or so (squeeze rag so nothing drips of course). Then check for the clog, sanitize tube, reinstall, sanitize post, reinstall.

Like I said you "might" have to. I'm not an expert on kegs since I just started myself not long ago but if there is no other solution.

Let's wait and see what more people say about this problem.

Oh one thing, did you try swapping taps to eliminate that?

Okay, so that brings up a new question.

How the hell do I get the post/tube off? None of my wrenches fit.... Am I missing something?

When you remove the dip tube, it will be a good idea to modify it slightly so it's not resting on the very bottom of the keg.

If it's a bent tube...simply place it over your knee and give a bit more bend. This will lift the bottom of the tube about 1/2 inch off the very bottom. Despite your best efforts of leaving behind the yeast sediment in your fermenter, chilling those kegs will cause a substantial amount of additional yeast to fall out and settle. Could be that there's just too much yeast at the bottom for the tube to flow unrestricted. When it's chilled, that yeast sediment can become pretty gummy.

If it is a straight tube...take a hack saw to it and shorten it about 1/4 of an inch. FWIW, I've done this on all of my cornies and the result is a clearer beer faster because my yeast sediment is not continually getting sucked up the tube.

Did you test the keg before filling it?

It is a little late now, but when I get a new keg, I take it apart, replace anything that looks bad, reassemble it all and test it out.

It should take a 7/8 wrench.

Did you test the keg before filling it?

It is a little late now, but when I get a new keg, I take it apart, replace anything that looks bad, reassemble it all and test it out.

It should take a 7/8 wrench.

My only test was to clean and sanitize it, pushing the star san out the tap line, which seemed to work well enough, but maybe I only did that to the first keg... I just don't know anymore.

Also, thanks to everyone for helping me with this.

Get a set of 12-point ratchets from Sears. They'll fit any of the corny posts.

If it's your first time removing, you may need to whack the wrench with a hammer or 3-pound sledge to break it free.

post3.jpg

post2.jpg

BierMuncher your the man!

It was your tip to use a hammer or something to tap the wrench to get it going. After much fiddling I was able to lodge an adjustable wrench on the out line, used a larger wrench to knock it loose!

And now? THE BEER IS FLOWING!! :mug: :ban:

So what was the problem? It was clogged, but not in the line, the poppit was just full of pellet hop/yeast sludge. I ran about 4 glasses thru the line, and the first ones were almost all sludgy and nasty, but now the beer flows nicely and is as clear as a porter can be.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Glad to hear the problem was resolved. This is a good thread for people with the same problem.

Cheers my friend and enjoy your brew :mug:

If it is a straight tube...take a hack saw to it and shorten it about 1/4 of an inch. FWIW, I've done this on all of my cornies and the result is a clearer beer faster because my yeast sediment is not continually getting sucked up the tube.

+1 on this. I sawed off about 1/2 inch from all of mine and it is much better.

Fatduck, glad you got it worked out!

Latest posts

Back