How to ReCarbonate Frozen Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
I had a frozen keg that you all helped me out with last week. Since then I have thawed it out completely and now have it hooked back up to CO2 in my keezer. It's been at 42F and 10-12 psi for going on 5 days now, and so far it's been flatter than flat and extremely foamy. I have 6 ft beer lines with 3/16 diameter and this being my first keg I haven't figured out yet how to balance it.

So, I'm wondering.....Am I doing everything that I should be doing? Maybe I'm just jumping the gun and it needs more time, but I'm just curious if I should do anything different to get better carbonation/no foaming results.

What do you guys think??

Thanks and :mug:

i think your force carb PSI might be a little low. whats the warmest temp its gotten to since the end of fermentation?

i think your force carb PSI might be a little low. whats the warmest temp its gotten to since the end of fermentation?

60F after fermentation for 3 days. Into the freezer and frozen (on accident of course:drunk:) for 3 nights, thawed out at room temp for 3 days and back to the freezer at a digitally controlled 41-42Ffor 5 days. Pressure has been around 12 the whole time its been in the freezer

so room temp... that would be what 72F? assuming your carbing to 2.5 volumes then Cheeto is correct should force carb at 30 psi. i believe serving pressure is 10 - 12 psi. right?

check out this site

carbonation calculator

The original post says it's at 42F and 10-12psi. You'll get to 2.3 volumes of CO2 in about 15-20 days. If you want to speed that up a bit, you can boost the pressure to 20 psi for two days but make sure you reset the pressure back down to 12 and pull the relief for a second. You'll still need another week after that but don't go shaking it or letting it sit too long on the elevated pressure.

The original post says it's at 42F and 10-12psi. You'll get to 2.3 volumes of CO2 in about 15-20 days.

yes, but the time spent at "room temperature" released some of the residual CO2 picked up during fermentation. residual CO2 has to be taken into account when you are carbing a brew. which is why low temps need less presser than high temps to reach the same level of carbonation there is carbonation already in the brew.

1. Forget balance.
2. Replace lines with 12' of 3/16ths.

Ok well I have 6 feet right now. If I wanna buy a 12 footer can I just get the 3/16 they got at the hardware store? Or if I just go with what I have now is there a way to get my 6 footer to do better? Lower pressure? And does the length of line impact carbonation?

Thanks again :)

Back