Primary in the Brewkettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I have a nice Extract rig now. See - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-extract-brewrig-135510/ . I was looking at my 6.5 gallon plpastic beer bucket and then looked at my stainless steel brew kettle... Why am i not doing my primary in the brew kettle? there has to be some way to put an airtight lid on it and pitch right in the kettle? The would avoid a point of infection.

Any thoughts? i use IC so there is no problem with getting wort in and out of bucket.

I just heard Jamil Z. and some others talking about this on a podcast of the Brewing Network's Sunday Session. I think it was on "frugal brewing" or something to that effect. You might want to check it out. Brewcast Date: 7/15/06

You don't need an airtight lid, just a good fitting lid to keep bugs and stuff from falling in. You may want to plug the holes in your lid with aluminum foil. A loose fit will allow CO2 to escape. I've done this a few times and been happy. It allows you to skim the gunk off the kraesen or harvest a true top-cropping yeast, i.e. a classic open fermentation. I do like to transfer to an intermediate vessel to remove the hot break, but you can skip this for average or lower gravity beers if you pay attention and rack early - as soon as the kraesen starts to fall.

Yes. Your boil would have reduced your oxygen in the wort considerably, and since you wouldn't be transferring to another vessel, there would be little opportunity for O2 to get back in there. So, you'd probably want to aerate it very well before you pitch the yeast.

Back