Mold in extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyTee

Reaction score
So I guess I didn't use it quick enough. Anyway there was mold in my extract and since I was doing the late addition method I didn't realize until too late. I threw it in, boiled for about 20 minutes and I'm fairly confident I should be infection free, however, the flavor is what I'm concerned about. Anyone else have this happen? I've got two more kits which probably have the same problem. Should I brew these before they get worse or should I reorder the extract?

Little mold. Let's say if it were on bread I would have scraped it off and eaten the bread. It's a pale ale.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. The mold is not in the extract, just swimming on top. I scooped it away a little bit with a spoon and then just went ahead like usual. Everything turned out fine, don't worry. I was concerned, too, at first because it had never happened to me either.

What kind of extract were you using, was it a pre-hopped extract, was it canned, in a bag or a plastic container?

It was LME in a plastic bucket, the kind where you have to cut around the rim to open it up (pull tabs never work). Not prehopped, hops are separate. Thanks all for your answers.

Latest posts

Back