Whats your favorite Black and Tan variety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBasile

Reaction score
Sparked from the off-topicness of the "stupidest comment" thread, whats your favorite, least favorite, and/or funniest Black and Tan variety?

I typically drink a Blacksmith (or "pint of special") which is Guinness and Smithwick's, but I agree that "Black Ho" (Guinness and Hoegaarden) is the funniest I've seen :tank:

Now I'm going to have to try the following based solely upon their awesome names:

Black Honky
Black Hooker
Black Girl
Black-Hearted Lady
Black Bastard
Black & Bushy
Blacks on Blondes
Dirty Busch
Dirty Hippe
Fat & Black
Green Goblin
The Noogie
Smokin' Indian

I haven't been too adventurous in this category, but I like the classic Guinness and Bass B&T. Oddly, I don't like Guinness by itself all that much ...

I prefer the Half and Half to the black and tan (Harp instead of Bass), and I always get them mixed. But my favourite is definitely the BlackSmith.

Some of them on that list are crap.... just made up combos of Guinness and ____________. "I'll take a 'Black Bastard' please!...." See anyone can do it!

"Black Ho" (Guinness and Hoegaarden) is the funniest I've seen :tank:

Ever heard of a Dirty Ho, Hoegaarden with a splash of Framboise.

A local place around here makes a nice black and tan with their amber ale and Murphy's Irish Stout, not too shabby.

i get one at the local bar alot. has no name but i like it alot. half Young's Double Chocolate half Sierra Nevada pale ale

I like Abita's Golden Retriever: Abita Golden and Abita Turbodog

When it's football season though, I always down a couple of these...

Eye of the Tiger: Abita Purple Haze and Abita Golden

Up in Seattle they had this one called an Irish Sunrise or something like that. It was cider and guiness. Nice actually, kinda heavy and kinda light. Refreshing all around.

I did that with the anderson valley hop ottin' ipa and it really was good!

The brewpub near me makes one hell of a double IPA but its close to 9%. I had a few and was starting to get a lil drunk so I thought if I mixed it with their stout I could have twice as many. It turned out to be REALLY damn good.

I think with dinner tonight I'll be having an Irish Anarchist (guinness and red ale). It gets its name because the anarchist flag is red and black.

Its funny. I really like a black and red and have for sometime but even when I first started drinking it I really didn't like stouts or reds by themselves but together I did.

I made a couple Black & Jack(O'lantern)s with Guinness and Sam Adams Oktoberfest last year. (Didn't read the wikipedia article...maybe they already have a name.)

Back