Yet Another EW Apfelwein Variation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drux_tx

Reaction score
EdWort's Apfelwein (V5) - Brew Date: 01.18.09 - Bottle Date: 03.31.09 (72 days)

3.0 G 100% Apple Juice (no preservatives - Tree Top)
1.5 G Newman's Own Concord Grape & Black Cherry Juice
4.0 # Brown Sugar - Imperial

Montarecht Dry Wine Yeast

OG: 1.080 @ 69 oF
FG: 1.000 @ 72 oF
ABV: ~10.5 %

Carbonation: None

Directions: Dissolved sugar in container with juice & funneled into carboy. Topped off with the rest of the juice. Added Yeast. Put on airlock w/ EverClear.

ZOMFGBBQ. The original recipe's awesome, but this... wow! Strong cherry nose and flavor. We usually go through a batch just as it *starts* to carbonate, which is preferred with us anyway. I still have another carboy that's aged 80 days of the original recipe that I need to bottle, but the addition of the grape/cherry juice takes it to a whole next level.

I'm headed to CostCo this weekend so I can pick up what I need to start two more carboys of this deliciously (and dangerously) smooth elixir. We've learned that 3 is all you need unless you want to pay for it the next morning, but at around $0.30 on the 12 oz. bottle, it just doesn't get cheaper than that. Thinking I'll be splurging and trying one with some pomegranate juice or blueberry juice.

:ban:

THANK YOU EDWORT. YOU HAVE IMPROVED OUR LIVES GREATLY WITH THIS KNOWLEDGE.

My only regret is that I didn't happen upon this back in the mid-90's. I would have been invited to far more parties. ;)

Back