Crack in Primary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyES

Reaction score
One day into fermentation I noticed my brewing bucket had cracked and was leaking wort. I tried plugging the hole with no success. Unable to fix the leak I ended up having to pour the wort/yeast into a new bucket.

The yeast had only been added the evening before, and I made the pour at lunchtime when I noticed the leak - so fermentation had been ongoing for a maximum of 12 hours or so. Obviously this process will have re-aerated the wort/yeast - will this ruin the beer?

The yeast are going to burn through that oxygen in short order. Depending on a bunch of other factors, you might get some minor off flavors from excessive yeast growth, but likely not. It is like the same (small) risk you would run over-aerating the wort in the first place.

The real oxygen problems come after fermentation is complete. It the beer gets aerated then, it will degrade quickly.

Wierd, a bottling BUCKET cracking? How on earth did you manage that? Im used to the tons of glass carboy crack threads, this one confuses me.

Back