Not homebrewing is not an option in Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I used to homebrew for about 10 years but moved away and left all my stuff in storage. I am now back in the same area and have access to all my HB supplies. Living in Utah you got to homebrew or suffer the oppressive state alcohol rules (Very limited selections and outrageous prices- $15 for a 6pack of Bass Ale). So I have started my first batch today of what will be a Hazel Nut Nut brown Ale from a kit.

I do mostly extract brewing with some specialty grains. But had done some partial mash recipes way back when. Would like to get into all grains eventually.

My least favorite part of brewing was the bottling so I started kegging and it simplifies the whole process. I also use a fermentap, which I have read many bad things about on here, but had success with it in the past. Between the fermentap and the kegs the whole brewing process was much easier than previous to these upgrades.

Planned in the near future are
Double IPA
Oatmeal Stout
Apricot Ale

after that I need to get more kegs or finish some the brew I have made.

Also in the crawl space of my home are samples of the 20 batches of brew I have made in the past, plus almost a whole batch of Mead aged 10+ years. So far I have only tried the mead and it is like a fine champagne with a honey aftertaste.

I've got friends in St. George, Utah that make the drive down to Nevada every now and then to stock up on beer!

Well I actually work in the transportation industry and travel out of state 5 days a week. A few fridays ago I saw a coworker with his luggage and an extra empty duffel bag. I asked why "beer" was the answer. I try to bring some home for every weekend but forgot this friday. Can't wait for my first batch to get drinkable.

PS there was an article in the paper a while back about the # of liquor stores in the state being limited. While Park City is not big enough for two liquor stores it has them because of millionaires and tourist money. St. George is bigger and growing and only has one. If you drink you want to buy property on the west part of town so says a realtor in the article. At the prices they charge you would think the state would want plenty of liquor stores around.

Photopilot said:
PS there was an article in the paper a while back about the # of liquor stores in the state being limited. While Park City is not big enough for two liquor stores it has them because of millionaires and tourist money. St. George is bigger and growing and only has one.

Money talks... I wonder if those 'fake angels' know what a$$holes they are...

knipknup said:
Money talks... I wonder if those 'fake angels' know what a$$holes they are...
Let's not let this degenerate into religion bashing. We all know that Utah has very restrictive liquor laws, and most of us can easily speculate as to the reasoning behind such legislation. Let's leave it at that and welcome PhotoPilot back to brewing!

EDIT: Just noticed this thread is a few months old...how's it going, PhotoPilot?

Yuri_Rage said:
Let's not let this degenerate into religion bashing. We all know that Utah has very restrictive liquor laws, and most of us can easily speculate as to the reasoning behind such legislation. Let's leave it at that and welcome PhotoPilot back to brewing!

EDIT: Just noticed this thread is a few months old...how's it going, PhotoPilot?

Most millionaires aren't religious.:rockin:

Back