Attempt at citrus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crew

Reaction score
So my first batch ever is in the bottles, for those that haven't seen my other thread it was a pumpkin spice porter that I made a couple mistakes on haha

It fermented in 3 days so I racked it to the secondary for 10 days and then bottled. This seemed like WAY too fast to me, but my hydrometer doesn't lie. I tasted the beer as I was filling bottles and it tasted like piss, so that wasn't very motivating. I cracked open the first bottle last night just to get an idea of where the beer was, plus, with it being my first beer, I wanted to "watch" it age.. It was actually pretty good. Not really carbonated fully, but the flavors have really started to balance out since I bottled it, and I imagine it will only get better..

So on to the reason I started this particular thread, after that Tarantino length introduction..

My second batch is a brewers best IPA that I decided to play with just a little bit to get my feet wet. In the primary fermenter, it actually shot my airlock off the bucket, and then proceeded to foam out of the hole and cover the top of the bucket. I caught it before it ran onto the ground, but wow did this ferment way more violently than the porter.. I still had bubbles every couple minutes on day 7. Is this common for IPAs? It was ready to rack on day 10, so I tasted what was in the hydrometer tube, a delicious (but warm) IPA. Here is where I played around a little bit. IPA's always seem to have that bitter punch to me, so I figured I would play on that flavor and rack it over some grapefruit zest, a fruit that has a similar punch in my mind. Flavor combo aside, did I do it correctly?

I zested 3 softball sized red grapefruits, which gave me about half a handful of zest. Mixed that with about 4 shots of vodka, let it sit for 20 minutes, and then put it in the carboy. I then racked the beer on top of it. Thoughts?

If you are looking for an easy way to add citrus/grapefruit taste to your IPA, simply adjust your hops...Centennial, amarillo, and many others give it that flavor without having to mess with zesting fruit.

If you are looking for an easy way to add citrus/grapefruit taste to your IPA, simply adjust your hops...Centennial, amarillo, and many others give it that flavor without having to mess with zesting fruit.

Citra hops would be perfect.

I brewed an IPA using grapefruit and grapefruit zest, it wasn't bad - I steeped the fruit and zest in a tea like the Blood Orange Hefe, then tossed the tea, fruit, zest, everything into primary with the wort. The thing I didn't like about it, it brought a more bitter flavor over that I anticipated whereas I was looking / hoping for a sweeter taste and heavy grapefruit aroma. I soon learned that this could be achieved through particular hops.

Whatever you get out of the oils on the skin of the fruit should be very subtle and faint, but I'm guessing it will be pleasant and there's something fun about adding fruits and other ingredients to beer besides the norm.

If you're wanting a grapefruit slap to the nose, +1 with these guys above, toss an ounce of centennial or cascade in your beer 7 days before bottling.

EDIT** :off: -> Just opinion here, but let your beer sit for a while! 13 days on a stout then into the bottle, I bet it tasted like piss :) Even if your hydrometer says you're done fermenting, let it sit for a couple more weeks, let it clean out and settle. You think your beer is coming around now but just wait till the first time you have something come up and it ends up sitting in the primary bucket for 6-7 weeks before bottling. It's a habit changing experience when it happens, at least it was for me. Buy a couple more buckets, brew yourself a big batch of wheat beer which is great young so you have a stock to enjoy while waiting for the others to come around, then there you go; pipeline! ;)

Ya I figured the porter was too quickly done with its fermentation, but it's bottled now so I am just hoping it will be good. Im sure it will be as the 2 I have opened are delicious.

I have the IPA in the secondary.. you guys are saying I should add an oz of citra 7 days before I bottle.. that would be to the carboy? Just pour it in? or should I rack it to another carboy, that would seem excessive.

Ya I figured the porter was too quickly done with its fermentation, but it's bottled now so I am just hoping it will be good. Im sure it will be as the 2 I have opened are delicious.

I have the IPA in the secondary.. you guys are saying I should add an oz of citra 7 days before I bottle.. that would be to the carboy? Just pour it in? or should I rack it to another carboy, that would seem excessive.

I just sprinkle pellet hops into secondary. My siphon keeps them out of the bottling bucket for the most part.

You're already in secondary. Just throw them in or drop a hopbag in there. Then siphon (through a strainer if you just toss them in) on top of priming sugar in your bottling bucket and you're good to go.

I've tried citrus a few different ways. Warning with the zest, if you go too deep into the white pith it will give a bad sour taste. I put the zest in a muslin bag and put in the boil at flameout. Also you can buy grapefruit extract. 1/2 oz. in secondary goes a long way. But obviously your hop choice is your go-to grapefruit profile.

I've never just thrown pellet hops into the fermenter without a muslin bag. Does it work well? Do the hops sink onto the trub and you just siphon off the top of it? I put whole leaf hops in without a bag, the siphon has a little filter on the end, but it gets clogged sometimes.

-Happy Brewing!

I've never just thrown pellet hops into the fermenter without a muslin bag. Does it work well? Do the hops sink onto the trub and you just siphon off the top of it? I put whole leaf hops in without a bag, the siphon has a little filter on the end, but it gets clogged sometimes.

It works extremely well for me. They usually settle to the bottom. My autosiphon filter catches like 90% of them. The key is letting the remaining 10% that make it through the filter settle down in the bottling bucket before you start. (There is a panicked post from me from 2009 about hop particles in my beer. :))

Ya I have read about the pith bitterness, so I made sure to just barely scratch the surface so I could avoid the bitterness. I'm going to leave this batch with the zest only, and next time, if I want more, I'll try the citra hops.

Back