How well can you make different corn malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly333332003

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you can roast malted corn to darker colors. I've been reading up about using other grains and how to malt them, making different types of malt, and I would like to know if anyone has done this and it turned out well. I can't find anyplace to buy other GF grains in my town but I have been able to find large bags of feed corn for cheep. The closest store is Whole foods and it's an hour away.

I'm wondering if you can roast malted corn to darker colors. I've been reading up about using other grains and how to malt them, making different types of malt, and I would like to know if anyone has done this and it turned out well. I can't find anyplace to buy other GF grains in my town but I have been able to find large bags of feed corn for cheep. The closest store is Whole foods and it's an hour away.

I don't know much about malted corn, but if you've got some corn you've malted, I'd say give it a try. I think you'll run into the same general problem as with most gluten free grains; that you'll have trouble getting enough enzymes in the mash to convert it.

I'd recommend ordering stuff online, that's how I get 95% of my beer ingredients.

Latest posts

Back