yeast rinse in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePearsonFam

Reaction score
Isn't a thing of beauty? This is only 15 minutes after pouring it in and shaking. Good stratification...

image-2550880985.jpg

I'll take a turkey baster and suck up some slurry from the top and pitch it in my next batch.

Yup, I just shake it, let it get to this point and siphon the top into another container. I'll add more water to the trub in the bottom and rinse again. I crash it all and decant off the liquid and combine the yeast. Super simple! Saved 8 bucks for my next batch AND have super healthy yeast.

I'm planning on doing this in the future. Looking at your picture, there are three distinct layers - liquid, then a light colored layer (which I presume is the yeast), and a dark layer (which I'm guessing is trub/hops/etc). Am I on the right track here? What are you doing to store the yeast?

yup, exactly correct. I'm repitching in a short time, so I simply sanitize mason jars and siphon the yeast into the mason jar. I boil additional water, chill it and top the mason jar off and put the whole thing in my beer fridge. I decant off the liquid prior to repitching. It'll easily keep a month (by getting it cold in the fridge), but I make a starter prior to repitching (unless I'm using it within the week).

The yeast washing sticky is really good, take a read on it before you get started.

Back