Banjo Burn Woes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I've use my Bayou Banjo propane burner a few times with mixed results.

Today was the first time I tried to keep 5-6 gallons boiling and it wasn't working all that well. After reading some threads here, I'm thinking wind may have been an issue. I'm just concerned that I won't be able to boil 10-11 gallons if I'm having issues with 5.

But I'm assuming I'm a moron and I'm not using it correctly.

Sometimes if I open the gas flow all the way (especially after it's been burning a while) the flow stops. Other times it works like it should. Hmmm...

Today, if I remember correctly, I started out with a powerful flame and it petered out near the end-with a never been used full tank.

How do you use this burner most efficiently?
Propane full on, restrictor to where you want to gas? Or backwards?
What should the flame look like? Sound like?
Should the propane tank get some frost around the outside of it?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I have the same one and I bought it even after mixed reviews, and I have not had any issues with flame blowing out. It hasnt been real windy though and I've done 5 batches.

-I open the tank valve all the way, but slowly open it.
- the valve on the reg get opened slight just enough so I can light it
-I then open her just about a 1/4 " more.
- I then adjust the air flow ring until the flame turns yellow, then I go back the other way until the yellow flame disappears.
-Doing it this way, allow me to open the valve on the reg more througout the brew session without having to readjust the air flow.

I've done about 3 11gal bacthes , which mean I was boiling about 14 gallons . No problems at all. The only issue I have is once the propane tank gets low, the pressure drops and flame gets low. The tank also freezes easier when the tank is low. To remedy this , put the tank in a basin of water, it should keep it from freezing. I love my KAB6. I get to boiling in like 15-20min.

**This isnt supposed to be reall loud like the turkey burners you get real cheap. I can hardly hear mine. If you have it real high, you're just wasting BTU's. As for the wind, build yourself a wind guard out of flashing, or brew in the garage.

I had my flame blow out a couple of times, but I just put up a barrier a couple feet high in the direction the breeze was coming from and it fixed it.

I usually open up the oxygen valve all the way, and adjust the regulator on the banjo burner hose. I feel like that is making the best use of the propane, but I am not an expert. I have been getting a number of 5 gal boils per propane tank, so that's good, I guess.

I have noticed that when a tank gets low, the pressure drops. Maybe it is the freezing thing -- I definitely see frost. I just shake the propane tank for a few seconds and the pressure goes up again for 5 minutes or so. It's annoying to shake the propane tank every 5 minutes, but not too bad. Keeps me busy.

Is the tank freezing? That's exactly what it sounds like is happening.

In cold weather, I can't use my propane grill, even wide open. The gas pressure is too low. If that thing is running wide open you could be dropping the temp of the tank as you are using it faster than it picks up heat from the surrounding air.

I've had issues with the connection to my propane tank. Before I try to light I turn the gas on high to make sure I have good flow. Often I don't and have to remove and then screw the connector on to the tank again. Of course once it starts to work it always stays that way so it may not be the same problem you're having. In any case, it's a quick check.

I have 3 banjos on my stand and a 0-60 reg but never get the reg higher than about 20. I cant see my flame during the day but looks good at night and thats with the O2 set at full open.

There is a safety valve on the propane tank , if you open the reg valve too much or too fast it will trip it. You need to read the attached instructions, they specifically say not to open the reg valve more than half a turn or something like that. I suspect you are opening it too far, which can trip the safety valve and increase the freezing of the tank. Like I said I am boiling 14 gallons and I can hardly hear it.

From the a site that distributes Bayou burners, but seem similiar to what was attached to my regulator. I have followed these instruction have had no issues:

TANK

Start with a full tank of gas. Position cooker and tank on solid, level ground. An unleveled tank can activate the safety shut-off device. As the tank nears 3/4 empty, the safety shut-off can become very sensitive and could also shut off gas flow. Always place the tank upwind of the cooker.
TO LIGHT AND OPERATE THE KICK A BANJO PROPANE BURNER

Set air shutter to full closed position. Make certain regulator valve is turned clockwise to closed position. Open tank valve fully. Keeping face and hands away from cooker, set lighter over burner, open regulator valve 1/4 turn. Light the burner. After lighting burner, observe flame. With proper air/gas mixture, the flame should appear blue or clear. A yellow flame indicates too much gas. Carefully turn air control disc until the flame is blue or clear. Then SLOWLY open regulator valve until flame reaches desired level. S-L-O-W-L-Y!

TROUBLE SHOOTING

Tank is 3/4 empty and cooker shuts off.

Follow lighting instructions to re-light cooker. Remember, open regulator valve only 1/4 turn for lighting. After cooker is lit, the most you can open the regulator valve is another 1/4 turn (Total 1/2 turn from off position). Opening valve beyond 1/2 turn can shut off gas when tank is 3/4 empty. A near empty tank is very sensitive; so much that a gust of wind causing the tank to wobble can shut off flow of gas to cooker. Again, the large volume of gas flow causes the tank shut-off device to become very sensitive. A nearly empty tank is more sensitive to shutting off gas flow.

Flame is yellow . . .

Carefully adjust air control shutter until the flame becomes blue or clear.

flame blows out when regulator valve is wide open . . .

Make certain tank is mostly full. Make certain tank is level. Make certain tank is steady, a wobbling tank can shut off gas flow. Wind gusts can blow out the flame. Tank could be near empty.

Gas shuts off wen turning regulator to full open position . . .

S-L-O-W-L-Y open regulator valve. Opening regulator valve too fast can activate the tank shut-off device. If the tank is 3/4 empty, the most that the regulator valve can be opened from "off" position is 1/2 turn. Opening beyond 1/2 turn can shut off gas flow (when tank is 3/4 empty).

KAB has been operating perfectly then suddenly shuts off . . .

Tank may be nearing 3/4 empty. Re-light and open regulator valve a max of 1/2 turn. If you bump the tank during operation gas flow can shut off, even with a full tank. If you experience problems with flame shutting off, most likely the problem involves the tank and not the cooker.

There is a safety valve on the propane tank , if you open the reg valve too much or too fast it will trip it. You need to read the attached instructions, they specifically say not to open the reg valve more than half a turn or something like that. I suspect you are opening it too far, which can trip the safety valve and increase the freezing of the tank. Like I said I am boiling 14 gallons and I can hardly hear it.

From the a site that distributes Bayou burners, but seem similiar to what was attached to my regulator. I have followed these instruction have had no issues:

TANK

Start with a full tank of gas. Position cooker and tank on solid, level ground. An unleveled tank can activate the safety shut-off device. As the tank nears 3/4 empty, the safety shut-off can become very sensitive and could also shut off gas flow. Always place the tank upwind of the cooker.
TO LIGHT AND OPERATE THE KICK A BANJO PROPANE BURNER

Set air shutter to full closed position. Make certain regulator valve is turned clockwise to closed position. Open tank valve fully. Keeping face and hands away from cooker, set lighter over burner, open regulator valve 1/4 turn. Light the burner. After lighting burner, observe flame. With proper air/gas mixture, the flame should appear blue or clear. A yellow flame indicates too much gas. Carefully turn air control disc until the flame is blue or clear. Then SLOWLY open regulator valve until flame reaches desired level. S-L-O-W-L-Y!

TROUBLE SHOOTING

Tank is 3/4 empty and cooker shuts off.

Follow lighting instructions to re-light cooker. Remember, open regulator valve only 1/4 turn for lighting. After cooker is lit, the most you can open the regulator valve is another 1/4 turn (Total 1/2 turn from off position). Opening valve beyond 1/2 turn can shut off gas when tank is 3/4 empty. A near empty tank is very sensitive; so much that a gust of wind causing the tank to wobble can shut off flow of gas to cooker. Again, the large volume of gas flow causes the tank shut-off device to become very sensitive. A nearly empty tank is more sensitive to shutting off gas flow.

Flame is yellow . . .

Carefully adjust air control shutter until the flame becomes blue or clear.

flame blows out when regulator valve is wide open . . .

Make certain tank is mostly full. Make certain tank is level. Make certain tank is steady, a wobbling tank can shut off gas flow. Wind gusts can blow out the flame. Tank could be near empty.

Gas shuts off wen turning regulator to full open position . . .

S-L-O-W-L-Y open regulator valve. Opening regulator valve too fast can activate the tank shut-off device. If the tank is 3/4 empty, the most that the regulator valve can be opened from "off" position is 1/2 turn. Opening beyond 1/2 turn can shut off gas flow (when tank is 3/4 empty).

KAB has been operating perfectly then suddenly shuts off . . .

Tank may be nearing 3/4 empty. Re-light and open regulator valve a max of 1/2 turn. If you bump the tank during operation gas flow can shut off, even with a full tank. If you experience problems with flame shutting off, most likely the problem involves the tank and not the cooker.

Thank you!

Yeah, there was definitely some frost on the outside. What does this do and how is it caused?

Thanks.

Other people have already answered how to fix it. Open the tank only 1/4 to 1/2 way. It's more than enough to feed the regulator for the 10psi it's going to output.

LP is actually boiling when it's being released as a gas and is under pretty high pressures inside the tank. When it gets to the regulator the sudden decrease in pressure causes the gas to expand on the low pressure side of the regulator and get really cold. A frozen regulator will just stop working correctly.

http://www.propane101.com/propaneregulatorfreezing.htm

Other people have already answered how to fix it. Open the tank only 1/4 to 1/2 way. It's more than enough to feed the regulator for the 10psi it's going to output.

LP is actually boiling when it's being released as a gas and is under pretty high pressures inside the tank. When it gets to the regulator the sudden decrease in pressure causes the gas to expand on the low pressure side of the regulator and get really cold. A frozen regulator will just stop working correctly.

http://www.propane101.com/propaneregulatorfreezing.htm

Cool article. So the tank is only cracked and the restrictor on the regulator connection is also cracked? It looks like the Bayou manual posted says have the tank wide open and crack the restrictor.

Cool article. So the tank is only cracked and the restrictor on the regulator connection is also cracked? It looks like the Bayou manual posted says have the tank wide open and crack the restrictor.

You can do that or you can follow the manufacturer instructions. WHich I have proven to be correct. The key with opening the tank valve is not so much how much you open it, but how fast. Open slowly and all the way. You'll need it open all the way anyway when the tank gets to 3/4 empty. The pressure will drop and you'll need all the pressure you can get. The regulator does just that, it regulates pressure. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

I used to have the same problem on occasion . The tank freezes over and the flow slows way down now I just set the tank in a bucket of warm water never happened again. My buddy who does rubber roofs will actually warm the tank with the torch when it slows down . I advise against doing that though

You can do that or you can follow the manufacturer instructions. WHich I have proven to be correct. The key with opening the tank valve is not so much how much you open it, but how fast. Open slowly and all the way. You'll need it open all the way anyway when the tank gets to 3/4 empty. The pressure will drop and you'll need all the pressure you can get. The regulator does just that, it regulates pressure. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Thanks. I swear I read the directions when I got it but who knows if I just didn't follow them or forgot.

Latest posts

Back