Band Aid taste/aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newrbrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys / gals,

I brewed a pale ale back on August 20th. Fermented with US-05 at 67 F. Primaried for 21 days then kegged. When I took my hydo sample during kegging I detected a band aid flavor. I dry hopped for 2 weeks with 1/2 oz cent. in hopes that it would cover it up. It hasn't. I tasted it yesterday and it still had the same taste and what looks like some small particles flooating around. I have read all the threads about not dumping your beer and will continue to hope for improvement but has anyone been able to age the band aid flavor out of their beer? I don't need the keg right now but would rather dump it and start over if it's terminal.
Cheers.

BTW,

I use filtered H20 so chlorine shouldn't be the issue but who knows.

No, this is a flavor that will not age out. People can detect the chemicals involved in extremely low concentrations.

Sure does sound like chlorophenols, esp. if you notice it more in the burps. Chlorine can come from chlorine or chloramine in tap water, vinyl hoses, unrinsed bleach, etc.... or wild yeast infection, but that's more rare, unless you reuse yeast your chances of wild yeast infection are slim...

From the Beer Judge study guide.

Phenolic
This is an aroma and taste often compared to Band-aids (tm), medicine chest or disinfectant. Chlorophenols are particularly offensive members of this family with bleach-like flavors in addition to the ones listed above. High levels of phenols are generally produced by bacteria or wild yeast, both of which indicate a sanitation problem. Phenols may also be extracted from grain husks by overcrushing, oversparging or sparging with hot or alkaline water. Chlorinated water and sanitizer residue are possible sources of chlorophenols. Phenolic flavors are generally never desirable, the exception being the clove-like, vanilla-like or slightly smoky flavors and aromas in Bavarian wheat beers and some Belgian ales.

had 1 bottle of milk stout like this last week...

I figure that bottle didn't get the bleach rinsed out well enough... glad it was an isolated problem. NASTY funk.

I had phenols using s-04 at higher ferm temps (72+). No problems with us-05 though. I'm just curious, did you pitch your us-05 dry or rehydrated? if latter, how did you rehydrate? Also what was the temp of your wort at pitching? I only ask because of my own curiosity - I'm noticing a trend with s-04.

I had phenols using s-04 at higher ferm temps (72+). No problems with us-05 though. I'm just curious, did you pitch your us-05 dry or rehydrated? if latter, how did you rehydrate? Also what was the temp of your wort at pitching? I only ask because of my own curiosity - I'm noticing a trend with s-04.

I pitched dry @ around 62 -65 F. This is about batch #20 all grain. I never had this happen before but I must have dropped the ball somewhere along the way on this batch. I am thinking that I must have rinsed something with unfiltered water at some point. Oh well it's the first batch that I've had to dump so live and learn. It's a shame because it was a nice pale ale with simcoe, amarillo and cent. Thanks again folks. Happy Holidays.

Cheers

Back