What temperature for OxiClean CIP recirculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
For cleaning the insides of my counterflow chiller and HERMS coil I put about 5 gallons of water with a scoop of OxiClean free in my boil kettle, set the temp to 180F and recirculate for 20-30 mins using my 2 pumps.

That had me thinking: Is 180F overkill? What's the best temp to recirculate this for the best cleaning effect?

Kal

Oxyclean says use in HOT water. So I'm thinking 180 might be good. You could try one at 180 and another at 150 and see if it makes much of a difference.

B

from the oxyclean website:
What temperature water do I mix it with?
OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover works in any temperature water, but best in warm to hot water. Do NOT use boiling water. Please read and follow clothing, carpet, or surface manufacturer’s care instructions for appropriate water temperature.

Doh! Never thought of actually looking on the Oxiclean site. ;)

I'm thinking 140-150F is probably good if warm to hot is recommended. Thanks!

Kal

Isn't this stuff made for use in washing machines? Those don't have heating elements. They just use the hot water straight from your water heater, which is usually 130-140 at most...some people set theirs as low as 120.

If one goes over 160F or so with the caustic step, there is the added benefit of hot water sanitizing. May not be so important in HERMS coil, but I try to do this with my plate chiller. 180 is about where I like to start it, as it will cool some in circulation.

Wow, 9 year old thread and OP is still here, that's cool.

Just curious, why? The manufacturer says it's best in warm to hot water.

Kal
I use proxy carb and it works fine in cold water...Saves a few $ on hot water...Always question authority...

I think that hot water breaks up the crud better then cold water . I think of washing dishes . I've never met anyone who washes dishes in cold water . I had a thick krausen head in a plastic carboy once . It was so bad it wouldn't rinse away at all hardly. I filled with hot water ( no cold water at all) and a scoop of pbw . Let it sit over night . Dumped it and that thing was spotless.

My experience is that much above 150°f the percarbonate decomposes too fast and the oxygen foams out.

I've experimented a few times and i've found (for me) that Domestic hot water temps (120ish) didnt clean as well as when i increased it to 180. I did a 180 degree Oxiclean soak the other day in my Boil Kettle recirculating through the pump for about 30 minutes, took a quick scrub brush to the heating element and the sides, dumped it, rinsed with fresh water, and its squeaky clean now

Back