Star San contact time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I have read at least one post on these forums stating that Star San only needs 30 seconds contact time. In the new review section it is mentioned again as one of the benefits. I use Star San and the instructions state that contact time should be at least 1 minute. An internet search of the product came up with 1-2 minutes.
How long do you Star San users normally soak your equipment/bottles?

Tommy

Charley Talley is a really great guy. He responded to an email that I sent him on this very subject 2 minutes after I sent it! He confirmed to me what Dude stated above. That Five Star Chemicals must state the longest contact time required, for legal purposes.

What I mean by that, and what he stated to me in the email was that when something is totally submerged in a Star-San solution, that the contact time is 30 seconds. If it is applied as a film, such as, being sprayed on, or for example, a small amount in a carboy and swirled around to "wet" the entire inner surface of the carboy, then the contact time is between 1-2 minutes.

John

So if i use a bottle rinser, squirt star san solution(Diluted to 1 oz./5 gallons) into the bottles, then wait 1-2 minutes I should be allright?

Thanks

Wup

I usually squirt it in the bottles and put them on the rack to dry, if they arent completely dry no biggie.. never had a contamination issue.

wup said:
So if i use a bottle rinser, squirt star san solution(Diluted to 1 oz./5 gallons) into the bottles, then wait 1-2 minutes I should be allright?

Thanks

Wup

Yup, that is all I do. I shoot the Star-San solution out of a Vinator (see photo below) into each bottle and then put them on my bottle tree to drain. By the time you are done with the last bottle, the first ones are more than ready to go. As Budbo stated, if they are still wet with Star-San that it not a problem at all.

John

bottlerinser.jpg

PA084711.jpg

Axegod said:
;) Yes....but is it better than Idophor?

I wouldn't say better, but different. It is better in one regard, it will not stain, unlike Idophor.

John

I used it for the first time to fill a keg yesterday, and boy am I impressed!

I listened to the radio show as John suggested, and I'm sold on Star San.

30 seconds contact time, no rinse, reusable. What more could you ask for?

I liked two things in the radio show:

1) You could drink a glass of the diluted Star San with no ill effects.

2) I remember someone saying they were concerned they may have left the star san in their primary and they added in their boiled wort. The expert said not only was this not a problem, but the yeast would find plenty of nutrients in the Star San to eat! Cool!

Another thing to remember, as difficult as it may be, DON'T fear the foam! It is your friend!

John

Back