I'm trying "no-chill"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
So yesterday I brewed and since all of the garden hoses are put away for the winter I thought I would try "no-chill", and make a real wort starter.

I finished the boil around 2, let it cool a bit so I could transfer to my ale pale and cool over night. I then took some wort for my starter and cooled that quickly. Pitched my yeast in to my stater. Woke up today and my starter isn't doing any thing.

Should I wait or just pitch some nottingham. The yeast for the starter was washed so I'm not sure it is good.

Also what should I do with the failed starter?

I don't have a stir plate. I just shake it when I walk by it. I guess I can pitch the starter and see what happens over the next day or two.

So yesterday I brewed and since all of the garden hoses are put away for the winter I thought I would try "no-chill", and make a real wort starter.

I finished the boil around 2, let it cool a bit so I could transfer to my ale pale and cool over night. I then took some wort for my starter and cooled that quickly. Pitched my yeast in to my stater. Woke up today and my starter isn't doing any thing.

Should I wait or just pitch some nottingham. The yeast for the starter was washed so I'm not sure it is good.

Also what should I do with the failed starter?

Your wort in the ale pail should last a few days, so you don't need to be in too big a hurry.

Assuming the yeast starter is warm enough to ferment, and the yeast aren't too old- I would give it another day or so... no activity- pitch the nottingham.

I know that you guys where all just as worried about my beer as I was, so I will update you.

I decided to just pitch the starter on Sunday @ 6:00pm. Monday nothing was happening:(. Tuesday after work I checked it, it was bubbling away nicely:ban:. Moved it to the basement (lower temps). Wednesday morning it was bubbling vigorously:D.

The lag time could have been from the lack of aerating the wort. I need to get a set-up for aerating.

thanks for all of the support and help.

The lag time could have been from the lack of aerating the wort. I need to get a set-up for aerating.

How do you transfer your wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter? I have had good luck by just putting the transfer hose near the top of the fermenter and letting the wort fan out and run down the side of the container as it transfers. It could also be that you are still underpitching, despite making a starter.

Back