Leaky Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
I've got a problem. I purchased a used Corny Keg. I filled it up with on batch. We drank most of the batch in the first weekend. Mostly Polished it off throughout the week. I went to check and see how much was in the keg tonight cause I've got another batch ready to go in and this is what I found. Keg almost empty. Must have been drank cause there's no sign of beer spray anywhere. The beer line is half full of beer and half full of air. I have the largest air tank I could get I ran 5 16 gallon commercial kegs through this thing and the reg needle didn't budge. The needle is buried at empty not after one corny keg. The only thing I can assume is an airleak, but like I said nobeer anywhere. Is there a way I can check for leaks? The only thing I can think of is soapy water and pressurize the keg? The soap test the airlines? Also is there adjustments on the quick disconnects?

Thanks,
Mike

I've got a problem. I purchased a used Corny Keg. I filled it up with on batch. We drank most of the batch in the first weekend. Mostly Polished it off throughout the week. I went to check and see how much was in the keg tonight cause I've got another batch ready to go in and this is what I found. Keg almost empty. Must have been drank cause there's no sign of beer spray anywhere. The beer line is half full of beer and half full of air. I have the largest air tank I could get I ran 5 16 gallon commercial kegs through this thing and the reg needle didn't budge. The needle is buried at empty not after one corny keg. The only thing I can assume is an airleak, but like I said nobeer anywhere. Is there a way I can check for leaks? The only thing I can think of is soapy water and pressurize the keg? The soap test the airlines? Also is there adjustments on the quick disconnects?

Thanks,
Mike

Can we go ahead and substitute CO2 for 'air', or are you actually pushing O2 into your beer?

I don't think they make a tank so small that it will only push one Corny before it empties, so unless you got an empty tank initially, you have a leak. Your solution to put soapy water on all connections is indeed the best way to find your leak. As to your empty keg. If there is no beer on the floor, you drank it all, you liquor pig. Happens to us all. :drunk:

There are no adjustments on the quick disconnects. Just make sure the plastic screw on the top is secure. Your primary regulator should read about 800 psi in ambient temperature and about 500 psi if you have it in a keezer or kegerator. Vapor pressure drops with temperature.

I find that when there is 'air' in the beer line, it means that some CO2 is coming out of solution. This can happen if you overcarb the keg, warm it up, or, likely in your case, you ran out of CO2 and the keg de-pressurized through your leak.

Check EVERYTHING for your leak. There have been people who didn't check their regulators or their tank connections and have regretted it. You may have multiple leaks so look at every possible source before you pronounce it fixed. If you still have trouble, try pressurizing your Corny empty and then take it off the gas. If the pressure drops over time, your source is likely the keg. If not, it's the supply. In any case, don't just stop if you've found one leak. Secure the whole thing.

Since it's a used keg I would start from replacing all the o-rings. You can get the set at your LHBS, they run pretty cheap. You need 1 gasket for the lid, 2 for the tubes and 2 for the keg posts.

Latest posts

Back