Should I brew with it or Toss it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I just found 13lbs of grain that was for an all grain version of Stone IPA, the problem is that they have been in my garage in a paper bag and sealed in a plastic tote since late Sept or early Oct. They have been milled. Are they still good to use? Thanks. BTW I want to brew with them on friday. Thanks again.

T.

Probably not still good, unless your garage was the same as mine and didn't get above 20 degrees until a couple of days ago. Take a few out and taste them. If they taste great, they'll be fine. If they taste stale or like cardboard, or just not very good, then they need to be replaced.

Do your own experiment and brew with it to see if you can detect any stale flavors. You already have the grain and it is already a loss, so what's to risk besides a few hops, a little yeast and some time? If you hop it like a Stone IPA you probably won't taste any difference. Yooper is right in counseling you to pitch it, but I say use it as a chance to see for yourself.

I have a great CAP on tap right now that I made with 2-row I bought in from June. I made the beer in late January. It was uncrushed, but still pretty old. Like I said, I really am loving the beer it made.

Depends on what your time is worth. I only get to brew once every three weeks with a busy schedule and it wouldn't be worth it to me to waste 5 hours of good brew time to $15 of bad grain but if you have the time then I say go for it. I would have a few years ago.

I'd probably toss it just because of my decision on the time vs. money debate here.

If it were questionable extract I'd tell you to go for it because you can get an extract batch brewed in 3 hours.

Although... I would like to know what "stale grain" off flavor tastes like. It'd be nice to know. Might be incentive to do the batch.

Not to say it is ideal... But I just brewed with a bag of 2 row from 2005 that I had been given. Tasted fine, brewed fine.

There is a big difference between ideal and possible....

Taste it and if anything tastes funny toss it.
Saving 20 bucks in grain is not really worth it, by the time your drinking the brew you got over 6 hrs into it, how much can you make at work in 6 hrs? A lot more than 20 bones!

Use the coffee maker mash test to check a small amount and see if there is any conversion.

if you are brave enough, you may be rewarded.... or use it for dog food. Mine love it regardless of age...

Latest posts

Back