Arduino Controlled Homebrew Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericxjbrewer

Reaction score
I checked and couldn't find this already posted in the forums here...

I wanted to share this fellows Stir Plate that was recently featured on Make. Because he explains the reasons on his page so well, I'll just quote the intro.

http://www.liamzilla.com/homebrewing/arduino-controlled-homebrew-stir-plate/

QUOTE: "One of the four key ingredients in beer is yeast. They do all the hard work and we get to reap the reward! To get the most out of the yeast, a homebrewer can (and should) create a yeast starter to ensure both the viability and population of the pitched yeast. A stir plate can be a valuable tool when creating a yeast starter for your homebrewed beers.

1. Helps remove CO2 from the wort – excess CO2 can inhibit yeast propagation
  2. Aerates the wort – yeast require oxygen for proper growth
  3. Keeps the yeast in contact with the nutrients necessary for better propagation – stirring the slurry of yeast cells and wort keep the yeast from falling to the bottom of your starter container

While there are many different tutorials on the web about making a DIY stir plate, my take is a slight departure in both function and aesthetics (hopefully for the better in both cases).
"

Enjoy the full article and stir plate project! I'm off to raid my old PC case now for a chassis fan...

Lord knows I love the Arduino, but this seems like the gratuitous use of a microprocessor. He's basically just using the thing as a voltage divider, which is something that could be accomplished with a 12 cent variable resistor.

Latest posts

Back