Fermentation Temperature Variation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I brewed an apple wit two weeks ago, and an IPA one week ago. I've been moving them in and outside to try to hit the sweet spot of the mid to upper 60s. They both started fermenation in the low 70s, and stayed that way for awhile. The last couple days we had a major cool down, and they got knocked down to about 60ºF while they were outside the last two days. I moved them back in last night and now they're around 65ºF.

I'm wondering if too many ups and downs in the temperature can strain the yeast, leading to problems or off-flavors. Anyone have any experience with this or general advice? Thanks!

Torchiest said:
I'm wondering if too many ups and downs in the temperature can strain the yeast, leading to problems or off-flavors. Anyone have any experience with this or general advice? Thanks!

I would guess that depends on how close they were finished to fermenting. My house temp can swing from 74 in the day to 68 at night and I have not noticed any impact on my beers or apfelwein.

I am using a Son of Fermentation Chiller now, which can keep a constant 65 degrees without much effort.

I was going to ask you something else, since you're the Apfelwein Master. :) I added a gallon of apple juice to my wit. Is it going to take significantly longer to ferment? I've already had it in primary for two weeks, as I said, and I was thinking about bottling it Thursday night, which would put it at 17 days. Think I should wait longer? I wasn't going to bother with a secondary, since it's a wheat beer.

Back