Son of Hopinator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be re-brewing my El Dictador sometime this year, and figured it'd be fun to pair it off with another award winning brew so I'm going to take Saq's Hopinator IIPA and brew it with the hops I have on hand. I decided to go with the HBT award winning Hopinator batch #3 grist, and up the crystal 40 just a wee bit in place of the carapils. It works out to 3% crystal which is perfect for a IIPA grist IMO.

Grist, target OG 1.088 - 1.094, for 10 gallons:

28# Pale Malt (85%)
4# Melanoiden Malt (12%)
1# Crystal 40L (3%)

Mash 151*F 60 (yeast is less attenuative than the yeast saq used in his original)

Hop schedule:

1oz Chinook, FWH (90 min)
1oz Warrior, FWH (90 min)
1oz Summit, FWH (90 min)
2oz Columbus, 90 min
1oz Simcoe, 90 min
2oz Simcoe (Whirlpool steep 15 min **)
2oz Summit (Whirlpool steep 15 min)
2oz Citra (Whirlpool steep 15 min)

4oz Simcoe (Dry Hop 14 days)
2oz Summit (Dry Hop 14 days)
2oz Citra (Dry Hop 14 days)

Fermentation/conditioning schedule:

Wyeast 1028 (London Ale), 2L starter from stir plate, 21 days @65*F in one fermenter
Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II), yeast cake, 21 days @65*F, int second fermenter.

Dry hop in primary three days before racking to keg. Condition three weeks at 42*F before tapping.

** Whirlpool steep: chilled to 170*F at flameout and added the hops, stirring vigorously to form a whirlpool. Let settle/steep for 15 minutes before resumed chilling and running off to fermenters.

I demand bottles of both for proper comparisons as a form of royalty payment or I'll sick the lawyer on ya for copyright infringement.

I demand bottles of both for proper comparisons as a form of royalty payment or I'll sick the lawyer on ya for copyright infringement.

LOL. Consider it done. :)

I was curious if you would make any changes to the hop schedule? Without the mash hops I would move the 30 min to 15 min, but with the mash and FWH I think the hop flavor will be excellent as it is.

In subsequent versions of hopinator I dropped the mash hops. However, you could put the mash hops in a hop bag, fish em out of the mash and toss them in the pot :)
I've thought of doing this but have not yet gotten around to it.

Did this yesterday. Updated the OP slightly since I brewed 10 gallons instead of 5, I didn't have enough chinook/warrior so I added a bittering addition to keep the IBUs up. Ended up with just shy of 10 gallons into fermenters at 1.090, the kettle hops absorbed about a gallon of wort. :D

Am interested to hear what kind of hop character you get from this huge whirlpool addition versus the late boil additions most people here use.

Also should be an interesting comparison of the two yeast strains. Please keep updating!

Latest posts

Back